UK "Sonic Highways" - which cities?

mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
or would it be Sonic Motorways? 

I've enjoyed the Foos Sonic Highways documentaries, and got to wondering what a UK version would contain. I've couldnt think of many "music scenes" like the US version as it's much easier to travel around the UK, so music styles spread quicker, but thought of the following. 

Any thoughts on others? 

Liverpool - Mersey beat -Beatles 
Manchester - Brit pop - Oasis, Happy Monday's 
London - punk? - Sex Pistols 
Birmingham - heavy metal - Sabbath 
Coventry - two tone - Specials
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Forget Manchester. Mr Grohl seems to have an aversion to anything that happened after 1985 (and even then, only if it was tuneless punk).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Glasgow - Simple Minds, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Aztec Camera, Hipsway, Hue & Cry, Deacon Blue, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Belle & Sebastian, The Pastels, Franz Ferdinand, Biffy Clyro... and loads more. I haven't even mentioned any from before the 80s. Or Wet Wet Wet ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Have a wisdom for having exactly the same thought that I did whilst watching sonic highways.
    There's a Cornwall/Devon acoustic/surf type of music that would be worth covering too.

Which British music legend would we get to present it though? Chaz&Dave?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    John Peel would have been an ace presenter, not sure who could do similar - Zane Lowe?? 

The Glasgow list that @ICBM did shows that although there's loads of music coming out of the UK, there isn't as much of a city scene -similar styles developing in one area - simple minds and Jesus and Mary chain aren't similar in style, just the time they evolved. Interesting discussion though!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1