Gamers! Please advise

What's Hot
My kids (9&7) inherited a PS3 from big brother (22). Early version, packed up fatally within two months, just enough time for them to fall in love with it.

Looks like I'll be springing for a new one for Xmas. Tell me this: are the "slim" ones more reliable? I understand the first generation ones were prone to the various heat-related ailments that kill them. 

Should I buy a refurbed one from Game? Or bite the bullet and buy brand new?

I don't think PS4 is a good idea at this stage btw, not least financially.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get one from somewhere with a good warranty, and other than that don't worry. I'm still on my original fat one after 6 years. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8154
    PS3's fail a hell of a lot less than Xbox 360's.  I've got an original early PS3 which gets daily use (mostly movies, I only play games while the wife is out).  It's been solid as a rock.

In the same time, my son has been through three Xbox 360's, and subsequently defected over to the PS4 (which also appears very stable).    I've not heard of the skinny PS3 units failing particularly.  I work in the games industry, so I'd know.

If the refurb unit has a good guarantee, get that.

Marlin
  • The slim ones are meant to be more reliable.  My "fat" died about two years ago and was replaced with a slim that's still going strong.

The "fat" ones can be revived but it's not guaranteed to work and is a bit of a faff.  You'd can reflow the solder under one of the chips (can't remember now if it's the CPU or GPU) using a heat gun and some tin foil but this only works if it's the cause of the problem (obviously).  It's also worth baring in mind that once they've failed they will generally fail again soon after.

If the Game warranty seems reasonable I can't see any real reason not to get a refurbed slim if it saves a bit of cash.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    thanks gents. They have a year's warranty at Game and aren't too much dosh. That may be the way I think

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    Slim ones are far more reliable (no overheating) and have a more reliable Blu Ray drive.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Echoing what others have said the fat ones blow up more than the thin ones.
  • WYNIRO got through PS3s like popadoms but my slim one has been going for a while without much issue (cable died though).

I'd have liked a fat one for the backward compatibility but they weren't making them any more when I was in the market.

• I bought a refurbed slim (not superslim) one from game and it packed in within 10 months. luckily still within warranty so it has been replaced. This one feels "better" because in the old one the sound would cut out sometimes. With the replacement you can upgrade the warrant for another 12 months for somewhere in the region of £40. Word of wisdom - wait until after Christmas. They have a massive surplus of traded in consoles after Christmas because everyone upgrades with christmas money. This pushes the price down. I picked up my 250Gb one for £85. The same console is now currently £109. They also do some good used bundle deals in january for the same reason - excess stock of traded in items. If you do go the game route,sign up for a game card as well, since between buying the console and the badges you get for buying something preowned etc., you get a lot of cash back to at least buy a couple of cheap games.
    Also you can easily upgrade any of them to bigger hard drives (thinking specifically of the 12GB slim one here).
    and WYNIRO ?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    FX_Munkee said:
    Also you can easily upgrade any of them to bigger hard drives (thinking specifically of the 12GB slim one here).
    and WYNIRO ?
    WYNIRO was one of the stalwarts from the Intermusic/Guitarist forum days. 
  • FX_Munkee said:
    and WYNIRO ?
    Keep in mind that if you buy a used slim you can't upgrade the hard disk without voiding the warranty. Not sure about the superslim, but on the slim the "warranty void if broken" seal is over the plate you need to remove to get at the disk.
    edited December 2014
    FX_Munkee said:
    and WYNIRO ?
    Keep in mind that if you buy a used slim you can't upgrade the hard disk without voiding the warranty. Not sure about the superslim, but on the slim the "warranty void if broken" seal is over the plate you need to remove to get at the disk.
    Did not know that, in fact I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.
    Sony seem to think it isn't:-
    https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/~/upgrade-the-hard-disk-drive-(hdd)
    Are you sure it was a manufacturers warranty sticker?
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 649
    edited December 2014
    FX_Munkee;449764" said:

Are you sure it was a manufacturers warranty sticker?
    I think it was the GAME refurb warranty sticker rather than the official Sony one.
    just picked up a Game refurbed PS3 slim 160GB. Opened the box to find thing covered in dust and what appears to be coffee or other stainage. Looks OK now I've polished it but not a great start. When I get a chance I will fire it up. Can only hope it works. 

Good stuff.
    Now you just need to pick up Motorstorm, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, and Motorstorm Apocalypse.

Kids shoes don't buy themselves you know!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    how violent for kid of 9? missus might object

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    JohnPerry said:

Motorstorm is just a racing game, so fine I would say.

I play LEGO games (currently Marvel Superheroes) with my 9 year old and she loves them

All practice and no theory
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Buy him an old Amiga and get all the Lucasarts adventure games.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    JohnPerry said:
    Zero violence, we got a 16 rating because there is 1 animation (out of about 20) where a bike rider will "flip the bird" as a taunt. TBH unless you've got HD TV and your sitting very close and don't blink at exactly the wrong moment you'll probably never see it.
    My kids just like smashing bikes into things and watching the riders ragdoll everywhere. Obviously they're deeply disturbed and have no concept that it isn't real.... :)

also +1 for the Lego games* (although the Hobbit's not great for that age IMHO).

*obviously after you've bought mine </cough>

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pacfic Rift in particular is highly recommended. Hardly any money now and the most fun non-mariokart racing of the last generation
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires