Wee blues tune from me :)

What's Hot
LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Any comments/criticisms welcome. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nice, thought it lost it a bit on the stop start part around 1:40-2:00. Enjoyed it though mate.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27476
    There more than enough great stuff in there to enter the Riff of the Month compo.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Good stuff. Bit of a Billy Gibbon vibe.

Creative criticism... Aim to get a bit more swing in parts, by flirting around the beat instead of playing right on it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2014
    lloyd said:
    Nice, thought it lost it a bit on the stop start part around 1:40-2:00. Enjoyed it though mate.
    Thanks man :). Yeah, it was a bit of an afterthought that. I'm going to stick a bass line in which, I think, will gel it together better. I'll maybe change the drums a little too.

TTony said:
    There more than enough great stuff in there to enter the Riff of the Month compo.
    Cheers TT. Life's got in the way of music making for me a bit lately. I did try to get one in this month but didn't quite manage, should defo get it ready for the next one though! :)

Good stuff. Bit of a Billy Gibbon vibe.

Creative criticism... Aim to get a bit more swing in parts, by flirting around the beat instead of playing right on it.

Well I'll take that as a big compliment, thanks mate! :) 

Thanks. The swing feel was something a bit different for me so I didn't really pull it off too good. Was fun though, and I'll be giving it another go. B-)

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!! :-bd
  • Tried adding some bass. :-?
  • I did not realise Billy gibbons was a forum member.

I liked that. How did you get that rhythm tone? It's super fat and a bit fuzzy and rough, but you can still hear the notes. When I try to emulate that in software I always get mush...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It sounded good, but I think for the next level you need a bit more conviction with your playing, you need to drive the music and lead it with guitar rather than sit on top of the track. Does that make sense? Most blues players will take a track by the balls and own it, even if it's a slow, laid back number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2015
    I did not realise Billy gibbons was a forum member.

I liked that. How did you get that rhythm tone? It's super fat and a bit fuzzy and rough, but you can still hear the notes. When I try to emulate that in software I always get mush...
    :D
    Thanks mate.

The guitars are going through an old trannie amp (WEM PA40) and into an a combo cabinet (which has no actual amp in it), with a bheringer overdrive/distortion pedal in front (the lead has an added DIY FF in front of that). Recorded with a condenser and a dynamic mic. 

axisus said:
    It sounded good, but I think for the next level you need a bit more conviction with your playing, you need to drive the music and lead it with guitar rather than sit on top of the track. Does that make sense? Most blues players will take a track by the balls and own it, even if it's a slow, laid back number.

Thank you. Some excellent advise there. 

In my defence the lead was about the third take of just improvising, I hadn't actually came up with anything yet. You can hear at the end me unplugging the guitar because I was never intending to keep it. When I listened to it back though I thought maybe it was OK. I get what your saying though, thanks again. :)