What would cause my G string to slip out of the nut?

What's Hot
Getting well into a jangly solo moment last night, my G string slipped out of the nut, pinged the tuning a tone down and then was a bugger to get back in and tune back up.
Is it just aggressive picking or is the groove too shallow on my G&L ASAT. Not had this before so maybe just a thorough clean of the grooves in the nut?
Would've been a problem live.

I have the guitar at work with me today, so can experiment and investigate. The groove doesn't seem any more shallow than any of the others...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

KIller thread title!  B-)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17732
    tFB Trader
    I have far more trouble with my nuts slipping out of my g-string.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    lol

Is there a G/D string tree? If not, how far down the post is the G string wound?

On many Fender-type headstocks you need to wind on much more G string than normal, in order to create enough break angle at the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a new Telecaster and this happened on the B string, I just took a file to it, worked fine.
  • thanks dudes - have changed strings and wound much more on than I normally would - fingers crossed!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    That's strange? normally the G string gets stuck in the crack.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • :)

• axisus said:
    That's strange? normally the G string gets stuck in the crack.
    I had that! Sent the LP to a luthier to correct it - he filed my slot too deep so now my G string is a bit twangy!  :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    make sure the windings go down as you tune.........it'll increase the break angle at the nut 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The e string slips out of my nut on the jazzbastard and it's because the nut isn't cut properly, but more importantly, I don't have any string trees. So no bending allowed yet :p
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    No, no, hang on. Firstly, let's clear this up. If you're going to have this thread title, it needs to be "Why does my G-string keep slipping off my nut." Don't narrowly dodge an innuendo thread title!