Indie game recommendations during the Steam sale

I finally got round to playing Gone Home (half price in the Steam winter sale) and thought I'd post my thoughts.
It's a beautiful game. I've always enjoyed point and click/puzzle games anyway, but the storyline and setting were excellent. It isn't particularly difficult, but it captures the feeling of entering an empty property wonderfully. There are lots of nice little touches and it was quite moving. It doesn't take long to finish - maybe a couple of hours or less if you race through, but it is definitely an experience I'm glad I had. I particularly loved some of the storytelling, as the narrative clicks into place. Compared to some literature it is quite clumsy, but as you uncover things yourself in the game and learn about the characters it is surprisingly touching.

A while back I played the Stanley Parable and that was a similar but very different experience. Similar in that it is quite short, not at all difficult and with an excellent setting and storyline. Different in that it is funny rather than moving, and it mocks quite a few classic videogame clichés to great effect. It also has excellent deliberate replay value - it has widely different endings as you take different routes through the game.

Both of these games have been widely heralded in both videogame and mainstream press and are definitely worth your time.

I've just downloaded Ether One in the sale as well which is apparently much more challenging. Any other good indie game recommendations while the sale goes on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have been getting a fair bit of stuff from Humble for my lads xmas pressie (laptop) https://www.humblebundle.com/store

loads of indie stuff cheap, most are steam keys.
  • In the past five years the best three games I've played are Limbo, Bastion, and Bioshock:Infinite. 

Bioshock everyone knows about. The other two are indie games: Limbo is an incredibly atmospheric platformer and Bastion is an absolutely genius action-RPG. It has a way of telling the story that is utterly compelling and utterly unique. I loved it from start to finish. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    Downloading Bastion now (though I've got to finish Sanitarium (bought from gog.com) first)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    . . . well I would if I could remember how to get Steam working ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Paul_C;451328" said:
    Sanitarium
    One of my ALL TIME favourite games. Utterly love it. >:D<

I want to play Gone Home, but right now I am finishing off Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Limbo made me horribly depressed. For a different kind of game Game Developer Tycoon and Prison Architect are pretty fun, and FTL.
    My V key is broken
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Bloody hell sanitarium! What a game I still remember getting freaked out by the village with all the kids and the circus! You have motivated me to reinstall it today!
  • I found Limbo a little dull if I'm honest. Braid is still a classic though. 

I got Gone Home in the last Steam sale but still haven't played it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • All good tips. I also really liked frozen synapse. I've picked up a bunch of humble bundle games in the past but a lot of the longer ones have gone unplayed...