Buying gifts for kids is quite fun

What's Hot
I aquired a Nephew and Godson within a few months of eachother earlier this year and its really nice to buy little gifts for them and see them really happy.

That is all.
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have a second niece due in ten days. I'm going to do all I can to foster both of their toilet humour.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy yourself them a helicopter, then you'll they'll have loads more fun :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    thisisguitar;452346" said:
    Buy yourself them a helicopter, then you'll they'll have loads more fun :-)
    And some Lego, and a DS, a cool RC car and some nerf guns too. God I love having kids :D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The helicopter was a disaster, cat was fckn terrified and The Boy demolished it via the walls. The Nerf guns were good 'til The Boy 'lost' the Nerf ammo before tea (how he managed to misplace the ammo in the confines of a house in such a short time is beyond me, the skills of a [then] 5 yr old). He wanted a DS but as he's got a PS Vita already and my PS3, and the Wii they've got and never so much looked at,  it all makes the DS look poo, so he ain't getting one. I think...

I've no idea what they're all getting as Mrs jd0272 attends to all that. I know the youngest (bless 'im) is getting a karaoke thingy with a Frozen Sing-a-long disc, which I'm quite frankly dreading. I'm all Frozen Out TBH. He loves it though, so I shall drink and accept.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    underdog said:
    thisisguitar;452346" said:
    Buy yourself them a helicopter, then you'll they'll have loads more fun :-)
    And some Lego, and a DS, a cool RC car and some nerf guns too. God I love having kids :D

Lego is always cool :)  I can't wait until he's interested enough for Meccano!!! Loved it when I were in the 1970's!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    edited December 2014
    My boys are a bit older now (10 and 14) so this is the first year we've not made a big pilgrimage to Toys R Us for christmas presents.

Bit of a shame, that.
    jd0272;452379" said:
    underdog said:

thisisguitar;452346" said:Buy yourself them a helicopter, then you'll they'll have loads more fun :-)

Lego is always cool :)  I can't wait until he's interested enough for Meccano!!! Loved it when I were in the 1970's!
    Lego is the coolest toy in the world, my 4 year old loves it thank god :D I bought him a helicopter this year but the one inside a cage so it doesn't crash when it hits things.

@RobDavies I feel for you man, my wife is distraught that our 12 year old wants clothes and makeup and no toys.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014

I have a couple of nephews, like Holnrew says, the toilet humour and childish stupidity and pranks were fun for a while, now they are just addicted to playing video games, whilst sitting three feet away from the 50" TV and that is all they love for, much like most people on here it seems.  They are only around 6.  But at least they still like a kickabout, or throwabout as it is over there. They do do shitloads of sports, but at that age on, I was playing with things and making things, even a few years on, I was making go carts, anything I could make and now I make what I like and do a practical job. 

Another cannon fodder generation being brought up unable to even use a jacksaw, whose only career option if they fail at academia will be the army (So they can teach them what they didn't learn for themselves).  Maybe I should get them some arduino for Xmas.

Toys are great learning tools I think and teach personal discipline and patience and fertilize the imagination, as kids make add ons, or improvise with them, but these days it seems kids just want their imagination to be spoon fed intravenously into their synaptic fluid whilst they sit on a bean bag and get mad when they don't achieve a level.

I think it all started to go wrong when we stopped leaving new borns outside for the first night after their birth.  Instead of a Spartans, we now have a race of obese useless people.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    underdog said:
    Lego is the coolest toy in the world, my 4 year old loves it thank god :D I bought him a helicopter this year but the one inside a cage so it doesn't crash when it hits things.

@RobDavies I feel for you man, my wife is distraught that our 12 year old wants clothes and makeup and no toys.
    Ah, the old keep your kid in a cage so they can't break your helicopter trick  ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    The problem with Lego is the amount of self restraint it requires to not push the little darlings out of the way and do it (properly) yourself :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee;452603" said:
    The problem with Lego is the amount of self restraint it requires to not push the little darlings out of the way and do it (properly) yourself :)
    Oh, so you're not suppose to do that then? I'll write that down I think :D

FX_Munkee;452603" said:

Guilty M'Lord.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    We took ours to see Father Christmas on Saturday.  The 6 year old asked him for Glitzi Globes that hadn't been on the radar previously - dratted Youtube toy videos.  The 3 year old then copied her and asked for the same thing.  That sparked a bit of a panic!

Thankfully my wife managed to find the last 2 that Argos seemed to have in stock locally and reserve them.

Next year I think the trip to see Father Christmas may be a little earlier so we don't get any last minute surprises!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Sambostar said:

I have a couple of nephews, like Holnrew says, the toilet humour and childish stupidity and pranks were fun for a while, now they are just addicted to playing video games, whilst sitting three feet away from the 50" TV and that is all they love for, much like most people on here it seems.  They are only around 6.  But at least they still like a kickabout, or throwabout as it is over there. They do do shitloads of sports, but at that age on, I was playing with things and making things, even a few years on, I was making go carts, anything I could make and now I make what I like and do a practical job. 

Toys are great learning tools I think and teach personal discipline and patience and fertilize the imagination, as kids make add ons, or improvise with them, but these days it seems kids just want their imagination to be spoon fed intravenously into their synaptic fluid whilst they sit on a bean bag and get mad when they don't achieve a level.

Ah, but you seem to have missed the fact that these kids will provide a vast pool of combat-ready drone pilots to draw from, with which to bomb the Taliban.