Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Whatcha drinking?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    tinlip, yes, if you like the american whiskeys, for what they are, then yeah, its like comparing vodka to gin. I gues swhat I meant was, for the money, id rather have a cheap scotch (single or blend), than a JD. To me, JD is a poor substitute for scots or scots style (japanese etc) whisky.

And funnily enough, nearly all Scottish malt is aged in bourbon casks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    There's some really good bourbons out there if you like that kind of thing that aren't too expensive my budget picks would be:

Makers Mark
    Wild Turkey
    Four Roses
    Eagle Rare

I can't get my taste buds around the peaty Scotches but like the mellower ones. Japan are doing some great 'Scotches' too. I'm hoping that as I get older I can enjoy the stronger stuff-more drinking and smoking it is then!!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    I agree with snap re the price of JD, especially when compared to a workaday single malt. I've got no issue with mixing spirits (I have  the odd phase of liking rum and coke), but JD is overpriced for what it is. Never had a proper bourbon (to my knowledge), should really rectify that one year.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    on single malts, when I started getting into them at first I didn't like the peaty ones. I do now, but not the rough ones like Laphroiag 10 yr old which to my taste is just lke TCP.

Often with a peaty whisky, a drop of water, just a drop or two, softens them up and rounds them out, Nice.

When I started out, I liked Dalwhinnie and Macallan, but I find them a bit thin nowadays, unles its well aged, and that meams too expensive
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I don't think I'll ever get into the Laphroiag although my mates love it-horse for courses I guess.

I was lucky enough to taste some high end stuff in previous jobs and unfortunately, generally the more you spend the better it tastes! I'm just glad that I'm not a Cognac/Brandy drinker....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    chillidoggy;453752" said:
    I get what Snap is saying about the cost of JD as the price is knocking on the door of a single malt. But are they really comparable? After all, it's Bourbon, not single malt. I did have a glass of JD Single Barrel a while back, or something similar and it was superb.

I guess you pays your money, and takes your choice. I like both, but have a bottle of Old Pulteney in the cupboard for Christmas.
    Single barrel is nice but by it's nature the next bottle could be better or worse, gentleman Jack is where it's at for me. And I drink because I like it not due to marketing.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I'm thinking that JD is so popular because it has mojo like an old Les Paul!

I'll be checking out the Gentleman Jack based on the recommendations, though.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Tap water

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Semen
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom