Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What songs provoke your reaction, good or bad?

I hear people say they like Blues because it can make you cry etc, what specific songs get you ; 
A -smiling 
B-laughing 
C-Angry 
D-upset

For me it's, 
A-Sweet Little Lisa Dave Edmunds with Albert Lee from Repeat when Neccesary album
B-Key to Love Gary Moore, just love the solo it makes me laugh every time, outrageously good.
C-anything with foul language 
D- Hurt by Johnny Cash. The image of a man at the end of his life, still defiant yet knows he's going 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10771
    Rachmaninov 2nd piano concerto for a, b and d. Can't think of any music that makes me angry!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    edited December 2014
    A - Chuck E's In Love .. Rickie Lee Jones being about as sassy  & coy as she gets.
          (Pink Floyd's 'Bike' on Relics comes a close second)
    B - Turning Japanese by the Vapors .. I don't care what anyone else says .. to me it's about the big M.
    C - Death Metal..  such a waste of anything...and so feckin childish, just 'dummy-spitting'.
    D - Company - Rickie Lee Jones again. Floors me everytime I hear it.. a song about love and loss.
         (James Taylor's 'Enough to Be On Your Way' being a close second..based on his feelinga about the death of his brother)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

a. Anything by Iron Maiden.

b..

c. Anything by Slayer

d. Another Rainy Night by Queensryche. While lying in a hospital bed, preparing for surgery, I was listening to this, and I got an unexpected text from a colleague, who I didn't expect to hear from.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    a. Queen, You're My Best Friend.
    b. Kirsty MacColl, There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis
    c. (in a good way) The The, The Beaten Generation
    d. Pink Floyd, The Gunner's Dream

Just the first four that sprang to mind. There are far too many to list otherwise… music is about communicated emotion for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    a. Ebony Eyes (or pretty much anything) by Stevie Wonder 
    b. Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa
    c. Walk by Pantera (although anything them relieves my angry mood as opposed to making me angry)
    d. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac (because it reminds me of girl I know and think the world of called, yes you guessed it, Rhiannon. Things never worked out for some reason and it still winds me up) 
  • A - Mr Big - To be with you. Reminds me of being on holiday, when it came out all those years ago.

B - Smashmouth - Let's Rock. Makes me howl with laughter; so irreverent. Best chorus in the world.

C - Probably the only music that makes me angry is hip hop/gangsta rap - I know it takes talent to be able to rap, but I can't abide all the bragging and boasting about guns, cars and women. Oh, and the 'Uh, yeah' refrains they spit out all the time.

D - He ain't heavy - The Hollies. It was out (the 1988 re-release) around the time my grandad passed away, so neither myself nor my dad can listen to it for long.
  • A; Almost anything by the Stray Cats
    B; Quite a few Frank Zappa/Mothers tracks
    C; Hurricane - Bob Dylan
    D; I don't think any music "upsets" me......(although there is that Justin Bieber guy.....)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Wow, great thread. I will listen to all these songs to see if I react the same!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stickersticker Frets: 869

A - Minor Swing - Django Reinhardt and the quintet du hot club of France , 5 guys letting rip and having a blast , never fails to lift my mood .

B -  a recent bounce around on youtube led to me discovering "The Cleverlys" and some of their covers had me proper laughing

C - slowed down , plaintive sounding piano covers with deary female vocals that get used in almost every advert these days.... or the quirky ukulele cover that thinks it's far better and clever than it actually is ...please stop .

D - Vincent - Don Mclean .

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    A - Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke

B - Toy Dolls - Nellie the Elephant

C - Jerry Marsden - Ferry Across the Fucking Mersey

D - Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn / Eva Cassidy - Fields of Gold
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    There's a few songs whose lyrics can make me get sentimental (i.e. D)

Can anyone think of an instrumental that can achieve this?
    I'm starting to think that this is probably mostly classical material
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839

A - 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen - just reminds me of good times.

B - Most of Steve Vai's stuff when he just goes ludicrously over the top.  There's something about someone just enjoying themselves that much while not caring what anyone thinks which I find rather contagious.

C - Tough one, as I don't really get angry when listening to music, unless it's about how utterly shite it is.

D - 'Winter' by Tori Amos.  Reminds me of my departed dad.  Instant snifflefest.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    This is the first one that springs to mind

• The blues actually makes people cry? I've never understood that personally. I've never felt that personally. But oh well. Each to their own.

I would say that if anything songs about provoking or invoking violence just really grinds my gears. It's not necessary! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Fuzzdog said:
    Tough one, as I don't really get angry when listening to music, unless it's about how utterly shite it is.
    There's a lot of music which makes me angry because it's so shit and yet is somehow commercially successful, but I chose one that makes me angry in the same way that the songwriter intended - about the subject matter rather than at the song :). Peter Gabriel's 'Biko' would be another one on that list. (Still, even though it's historical now.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A. Smiling
    Love the melodic structure and virtuosity on display here:

B. Laughing

C. Angry 
    Any tinny crap played through a phone speaker
    D. Upset
    Another Don McLean song:

Another Don McLean song:
    [The Grave]
    The whole of that album is completely brilliant and emotive - Empty Chairs and Crossroads are two of my other favourites as well. Shame he's never really done anything else as good - I got a 'Best Of' a few years ago and the only songs I really liked were the ones on American Pie.

• A - Robyn Hitchcock - A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations, Briggs.

B - Ginger - David Devant And His Spirit Wife

C - 

D - 
  • A. Song that seems to make me smile recently (through many opportunist reworkings for whatever the situation) is in fact All About the Bass. Ive had...all about the ham, no mayo. All about that car space, no reversing. Etc etc. Don't like the song though

B. Probably as above to be fair, or the opening scene from The Music Man (he's a what he's a what he's a music man)

C. Anything by, featuring, including, or inspired by Eric Clapton makes me intensely grouchy and annoyed

D. How, by John Lennon. The words sum me up too well. I did also cry the first time I heard White Stripes "I'm lonely but i ain't that lonely yet"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic