Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend albums to buy with my £15 iTunes voucher

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
Got a £15 voucher for Christmas but I could do with some help as I'm not sure what to buy.  Here are some guidelines which could help.

I'm currently enjoying Coheed and Cambria, Evanescence and Dream Theater.  So perhaps something along those lines.

Classical wise I've decided I'm quite partial to modern guitarists such as Roland Dyens and Milos.  Any other contemporary players' albums worth checking?

My iTunes library is quite limited on modern music.  So anything new and fresh would be a welcome addition.

Other than that, I like all sorts of music, so long as there is a good melody involved.

Fire away....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• New Billy Idol album.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    edited December 2014
    The Pretty Reckless - Going To Hell

Cheesy, predictable clichéd modern rock with female vocals, but very well done and brilliant fun. The cover may not be entirely SFW (safe for wife!) either :), although there seem to be two different versions.

Get the deluxe edition if you're going to, the bonus tracks are worth it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Flowers and Dirt" by Bernie Tormé :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Very Best of the Carpenters?
  • I'm really digging the first Warpaint album at the moment. 

Or, you know, this. 

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    David Bowie - The Next Day
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24846
    Skindred - Kill the power.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All the Farmikos singles.

@fretmeister funny you mention Skindred as Benji appears on a Farmikos song called Fragile.
  • John Martyn - Grace & Danger
    The Blue Nile - Hats

Neither have anything to do with your musical taste but both are exceptional records....
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    John Martyn - Grace & Danger
    The Blue Nile - Hats

Neither have anything to do with your musical taste but both are exceptional records....
    Hats is just an awesome piece of work, have a wisdom @richardhomer - a somewhat forgotten masterpiece perhaps. Stunning album, yes, get that one @beed84 ! :D
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I'm getting the new Steve Rothery solo album. Got a good feeling about it from the previews.
  • axisus;456519" said:
    I'm getting the new Steve Rothery solo album. Got a good feeling about it from the previews.
    I saw a clip of some of the playing from 'Ghosts of Pripyat' album on Youtube - hell of a player, and ever so tasteful.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1614
    Carry on the grudge - Jamie T

Furr - Blitzen Trapper

The Bones Of What You Believe - CHVRCHES
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    axisus said:
    This -  the solo in the opening track is one of my favourites and I've been a fan since the first marillion album.
  • axisus;456519" said:
    I saw a clip of some of the playing from 'Ghosts of Pripyat' album on Youtube - hell of a player, and ever so tasteful.
    I'm gonna get this myself as the clips sound great.  
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Deaf Havana - Old Souls. Without a shadow of a doubt
  • When I see the words "something along those lines maybe" my mind instantly fishes out...
    - Circa Survive
    - Within Temptation

I really like Circa Survive's last 3 albums - Blue Sky Noise, Violent Waves and Descensus.

Oh and if you want something a bit more progressive I'm digging Spock's Beard's newest album
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    Los Straitjackets - Jet Set
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    Thanks for all your suggestions.  I've gone away and sampled said music, but unfortunately, most of it just isn't doing it for me. Having said that, I'm probably being very being picky due the musical mood I'm in. 

Anyway, not that this was ever competition, but @Octahedron's recommendation of Within Temptation wins so far.  I've just downloaded The Silent Force, which sounds right up my street. Thanks :) 

Still got £10.01 left, mind...

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Maybe not so full of guitar playing but if you like Within Temptation you should check out Nightwish (assuming you haven't already!).

They've been through a couple of singer and changes in style but their last album imaginarium is superb.