Good Reasonably priced PSU?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5880
I currently have my first 2 pedals (Suhr Rufus and CAE MC404 Wah both 9volt DC) powered by Batteries as the subsequent pedals totally maxed out the outlets on my PP2+

I would prefer to buy a small PSU for these 2 pedals, something compact and neat with isolated outlets, don't want to do any daisy chaining either. Prefer something under £75.

Does anything exist in this price range, I only saw the Cioks Baby Mach 2, but that seems to have been discontinued.

There may eventually be a third pedal to power too.

Tech question: Is it ok to have unused/empty outlets on a PSU, ie: 4 or 5 Outlets and only 3 pedals? I presume it is, but need to be certain?

Anyone experienced any problems using 2 different PSU's for the same chain of pedals, daft question but it seems anything that can go wrong usually does.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    yes, you can leave unused sockets empty, for the future.

Not sure about "cheap" PSU, Harley Benton does one? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They probably don't need to be isolated from each other, you could daisy chain from another pedal on your existing supply if it does have the juice. 

Otherwise, the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior (not the bigger one) is fully isolated and has 6 outputs. I think it's less than 30 quid posted. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the suggestions lads.

Daft question but, if I bought one from Thomann, should I expect it to come with a Standard UK plug or Continental plug. The plug is moulded and looks like the lead is non removable.

I'll get me coat.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    Thomann will include a euro/UK plug adapter with it.
  • Thomann will include a euro/UK plug adapter with it.
    Only if you ask, though - mine didn't come with one.

Good question, though.  Wish I'd asked it before ordering mine XD
  • Thomann will include a euro/UK plug adapter with it.
    Ah, of course, saves me buying one then.

• Thanks for the suggestions lads.

Daft question but, if I bought one from Thomann, should I expect it to come with a Standard UK plug or Continental plug. The plug is moulded and looks like the lead is non removable.

I'll get me coat.

I've just bought the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior and i just cut the Continental plug of and wired a standard UK plug on.The wiring color coding is the same as in the UK

• I have both of the suggested PSUs. The Fame one is cheap, very flexible and has more outlets including AC and variable options. Downside is that is really tall and bulky. The Thomann one is much smaller but only has 5 outputs and comes with a European plug. I cut the plug off and put an IEC socket on the end so I could use a kettle lead.

For what you want, the Thomann unit would be best.
  • @ThePrettyDamned

How is yours performing? Any probs, I only ask as they sound too good to be true at that price. Just got that old saying going round my head. "You gets what you pay for".

It's a big jump from £30ish for the H.B and the Fame DCT up to £82 for a Cioks Adam, surprised there's nothing priced "inbetween" so to speak.
  • My HB runs this whole pedalboard including a Zoom G3 which claims it needs 500ma input with no glitches at all:

Remarkable value for money.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'd buy the Harley Benton without a second thought - the one I had was heavily gigged, generally abused and was one of the quietest most reliable power supplies I have owned.  If I ever go back to having a board with more than one pedal on, I'll buy another one.  Just cut the plug off and pop a UK one on, much more reliable than using an adaptor.

Mine was actually quieter and more reliable than the Fuel Tank Junior that it was cloned from - I went through three of those in quick succession!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • That's ace @vasselmeyer

Nice board.

Re the wiring and alterations, I'll get someone else to do that.

Because.

:-D
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    The HB supply should be fine - like others have said, just add a UK plug.

Alternatively, grab a visual sound one spot and run a chain from one pedal to the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited December 2014
    @ThePrettyDamned

How is yours performing? Any probs, I only ask as they sound too good to be true at that price. Just got that old saying going round my head. "You gets what you pay for".

It's a big jump from £30ish for the H.B and the Fame DCT up to £82 for a Cioks Adam, surprised there's nothing priced "inbetween" so to speak.
    Solidly, though it's not a year old yet. 

Still, it's small, and a cursory peak inside shows the wiring is tidy.  To be honest, there isn't much to get wrong - I suspect it's just a standard scheme type of thing that pretty much any manufacturer uses, and the component quality determines how much power it supplies and stuff. 

I've left it on all night several times with no fires :)

Edit: @john_p is right though, I doubt these pedals would be noisy daisy chained so you could one spot it.
  • @Bellycaster It actually looks different now as I've changed out the Soul Preacher for an Xotic SP and bumped the FZ-5 for an EHX B9 Organ Machine which draws more power and the PSU STILL copes. Can't say enough good things about them.
  • Ive not read all the posts so sorry in advance if this has been linked to before. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYO-JP-02-Isolated-Output-Supply/dp/B00B5X2W4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419632701&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+power+supply This is goood, I have one and works very well. The leds can be switched off.
  • +1 Harley Benton Powerplant Junior
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    mart;456906" said:
    Not perfectly: op wants small and these are massive. I've got one, it's a decent psu but not small!
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Hymnal said:
    mart;456906" said:
    Not perfectly: op wants small and these are massive. I've got one, it's a decent psu but not small!
    Fair point; having checked the dims of the HB and the Joyo, they do seem a good bit smaller. But I've got the Fame one in my Diago Gigman case with