drum kits

What's Hot
Any advice in getting a kit for an adult beginner , say around £300 s/h. Which makes are ok ,and which to avoid. What to look for when buying s/h.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Heathen!!!!!
  • Sorry , not for me
    My daughter , has just become full time professional singer songwriter
    She is experimenting with different instruments. She writes on piano and gigs with guitars. She is experimenting with my bass , and now wants to try drums.
    The session drummer she recorded her first album with gave her a go on his kit and she has the bug.
    I know nothing about drums...
  • Might be worth either getting in touch with a local teacher or if you have one local music shop. Teachers usually know plenty of secondhand stuff for sale from students and some shops rent instruments out, in a try before you buy.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• mapex are usually a good place to start. You get a fairly decent kit for a low price if you are going for a proper drum kit. 

second hand electrics are good around £300. Alesis DM8 and some of the lower end Roland kits. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I'd agree with Mapex, even the cheapest kits aren't dreadful.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Gretsch

But you can't go wrong with an old pearl export from gumtree
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 619
    Have pm'd you
  • Thanks, Mapex look interesting .surprised how cheap they make a drum kit for!
    I saw Gretsch and wondered about them. Looking at prices maybe we can get a mid range s/h for £300 to £400. Guess people upgrade . Anything I should look for other than obvious damage when going s/h...
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited December 2014
    It's like buying a guitar mate

So long as the shells are good and are a decent wood - I always liked maple but birch is nice and warm too, you can replace skins - which unless they are decent you'd want to do anyway) hardware is all upgradable - look for double braced stands and a decent bass pedal (pearl, yamaha, tama, dw)

Cymbals are a minefield - and where people stint the most and that's a real false economy. Our drummer has a shitty 50£ car boot sale purchased Olympic kit in his studio and because he's put good skins on it and tuned it properly, it sounds epic, but he has an endorsement from Dream cymbals. They are astonishing value for money And if I was still playing that is what I would play over zildjjan, sabian etc. They are simply incredible - if I was starting with £400 I would be looking to split that down the middle £200 on kit £200 on cymbals.

eBay is a good place to buy drum sets as folks won't post and if your prepared to drive to collect I have seen real quality kits go for absolutely silly money

Oh, also check out PDP kits (Pacific) they are to DW what Squier is to Fender and they make brilliant kits
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Snare and cymbals are where to spend the money. Obviously the expensive brands like Zildjian and Paiste are great but my best value for money purchase has been a stagg "myra" series crash.

In fact if you are local I have a non-name set of shells that you could have for beer money as I've just moved to a decent electric kit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ