Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What new techniques have rock players brought to guitar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    Jalapeno said:
    Les Paul wasn't really full-on Jazz, more Rockabilly/Country (and contemporary pop) and general show-biz - undoubtedly a pioneer of the guitar and live TV.

Here's my, barrel scraping additions

Baritone guitar

Distortion by choice

Widdling

Widdling - Paganini
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    Shredding - sheet music.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd say it's the ability to use the amp (and the entire signal chain) as part of the instrument, rather than just a way to make things louder. Nothing's affected modern electric guitar music more than that.
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408

Plus one thing, that to me only Steve Vai seems to employ, humour in his playing. 

Nah, old as an old thing - jazz musicians have been quoting wholly inappropriate riffs for a hundred years
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    As an advocate for hair metal, the techniques we brought included how to do Charlie in a busy club when surrounded by chicks, not spilling the Jack at the same time. Other techniques with said chicks NSFW.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    What about some of the funny Whammy Bar techniques that Vai uses... like the frog thing (i think that's where he bends up/or releases down but does the opposite with the whammy) and bouncing / flicking the arm sharply to make the fretted note buzz....

Did anyone outside of rock do such things?

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    I think it simply the case that the longer a genre has been around, the more chance that people if that genre were the original innovators, not because they were particularly special because of said genre. If the original big guitar style was Croatian shoe gaze, that's where all the initial innovation would have come from.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5014
    Throwing their guitar to their tech........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    What about some of the funny Whammy Bar techniques that Vai uses... like the frog thing (i think that's where he bends up/or releases down but does the opposite with the whammy) and bouncing / flicking the arm sharply to make the fretted note buzz....

Satriani's lizard down the throat technique and Vai's flutter-warble-ping-bounce?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    edited January 2015
    viz said:

Satriani's lizard down the throat technique and Vai's flutter-warble-ping-bounce?
    Yes! Although I seem to remember Jeff Beck doing that bounce thing on the solo to Blaze of Glory (John Bon Jovi) not sure if he did it before that too...?