Alternatives to IEC plugs and sockets?

What's Hot

In my alternative career as a party DJ, I have a couple of lighting bars on which I mount a selection of LED lighting fixtures.

At the moment, each fixture has a 13a plug and I'm thinking about replacing them with IEC plugs and mounting an IEC distribution block to the lighting bars.

However, the IEC blocks are pretty bulky and I was wondering if there was a smaller alternative to IEC? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I think some LED fixtures use a speakon-like connector.  

I'm not sure of the name, sorry!!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• Powercon, is what you're referring to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Powercon is dead handy, can't be accidentally pulled out, higher rated than IEC and is "Ended" so inlets are blue, outlets are grey so you don't oval up when daisy chaining kit. Panel mount connectors are widely available and fit a standard Neutrik D type cut out so there's plenty of pre cut panels out there to accept them. The only thing to bear in mind is that they shouldn't be connected or disconnected under load. They're probably the neatest solution though. 16a Ceeform will likely be on the bulky side for what you're doing and theatre type 15a plugs won't save you any space over 13a and don't have the locking connection of the Powercon and Ceeform. Caveat is that if you do outdoor events, the 16a Ceeforms are IP rated so safer for outdoor use.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    Cheers guys - the Powercon stuff doesn't look like it's any smaller than IEC connectors or distributors, so I'll probably stick with that.

Ta.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16082
    candles
    tae be or not tae be
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615

You can get mains rated XLR's Rob like these 

Canford Audio used to do em
    www.2020studios.co.uk