Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone here like synths?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I've got a Korg Microkorg, though I don't use it all that much.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • this fella does :-)   

and so do i for that matter (not that i have any,but i have had both a korg i3 and a technics wsa1,didn't have a clue what to do with them though?)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Analogue good. Digital not so good, for me anyway. Just don't have the patience for digital synths.
  • What synth do I want?

I quite like old
    Analogue
    Simple to use
    Smallish
    Not too expensive.

Hit me.
  • Anyone seen that Behringer post about cloning the ARP Odyssey? Planned price is $500. At that price, it would be rude not to. As for small, affordable analogue synths, I guess it depends what you mean by affordable. If you can get a Roland SH09 for a reasonable price, I doubt you'd be disappointed. It's simple, small and sounds very nice!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Cheers lads.  I'll keep my eyes peeled. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2015
    I love the little beasties.

I once went along to see someone who was selling a huge old analogue synth system.

When I say huge, I actually mean huge...  (no, really, bigger than that !)

It was racked into either two or three units (can't quite remember), each of which went from floor to ceiling, yes that huge.

That would have taken every spare pound I had at the time, so I eventually walked away from the deal.
    It made some seriously gorgeous sounds.  I wonder what it would be worth now ?

Happy new year to y'all   :)

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    I love em, although I spent more time tweeking than playing, sound familiar? I had a Roland JX-3p, yamaha DX-7 and now have just one arranger which is based on a General Music Equinox. Would love a modern work station or arranger

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    ThePrettyDamned;461500" said:
    What synth do I want?

I quite like old
    Analogue
    Simple to use
    Smallish
    Not too expensive.

Hit me.
    Sounds like an SH101 might be right up your street .

If new synths possibly a Mutable Instruments Anushri, Doepfer Dark a Energy or the recently released Dreadbox synth might be what you are after . Studio Electronic Boomstar are quite pricey but highly rated and come in a variety of filters cloning a few old classics.

None of these have keys mind so you will need a midi keyboard if you haven't got one.
  • The SH-101 is great, but hard to find for under £650 these days. I wish I never sold mine.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    The SH-101 is great, but hard to find for under £650 these days. I wish I never sold mine.

Wowzers  !!!     

(I really can't believe I just said that !)

I still have mine, but I never thought of it as an investment ~ until now,    :D

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I am thinking of treating myself to a Moog Sub Phatty - can't really justify the Sub 37- seems a pretty good price for what you get.
  • I picked up a used M-Audio Oxygen 25 for cheap in new condition.  Effortless to use with the free Ignite program that you download for it.  Lot's of great sounds and Ignite is dead-easy to use compared to Ableton, etc...., although I do use mine with Ableton because Ignite doesn't work with plug-ins.  I just bought a new Korg PadKONTROL which was a little harder to get on with due to a badly written and translated manual.  After a week or so of sifting through Youtube tutorials I got it all worked out, nice piece of gear.   

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBM said:
    I like synths too by the way. I spent years on and off trying to find something that would make my guitar sound like a synth, with varying degrees of success...
    Several years ago I saw a Genesis tribute band whose guitarist had a synth-guitar of some sort.  He couldn't get it to do anything but make annoying noises at inappropriate times until about 4 songs into the first set he gave in to the glaring bandmates and avoided using it for the rest of the show.  I'm pretty sure Steve Hackett used a volume pedal for what people thought was a synth-guitar.  I know when I saw them live I learned that a lot of parts of songs I thought were played by Tony Banks turned out to be Hackett.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I use Alchemy on both the PC and iPad with an M-Audio 25 keyboard. I've got my eye on a second hand Yamaha MOX6 or Motif XF6. Not sure I'd ever need anything else!!

The Roland range is also awesome
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I feel like the more I get into synths, the less I am into guitar pedals.

I mean pedals are great but at the end of the day theres only so much you can do to a guitar singal, delay it, distort it, add modulation ect.

Synths let me get my "making weird sounds" impulses out of my system and let me keep my guitar rig relaively simple.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I also have a Ghost MIDI system in my Feline Custom and use both the Roland GR-20 and the Axon AX100 with this. Great for expanding sounds when playing live.
  • hugbot said:
    I feel like the more I get into synths, the less I am into guitar pedals.

I mean pedals are great but at the end of the day theres only so much you can do to a guitar singal, delay it, distort it, add modulation ect.

Synths let me get my "making weird sounds" impulses out of my system and let me keep my guitar rig relaively simple.
    I'm getting the best of both worlds with the above mentioned synths and my Fender Mustang series amp, which delivers a lot of sound options for guitar.  Although I have been entertaining the idea of adding a wah wah pedal to the arsenal.    The fact that I never intend to take this music out live is very liberating.