Old Grundig reel to reel.

What's Hot
Well a mate gave me this to see if it could be restored ( not a chance in hell ) but it had valves and horrible spiders inside. So I ripped it open and only 3 valves were there a Mullard EL95, a Mullard EF86 and a Brimar 12AT7. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/bargoedboy/05e180160009741441b339ef7dcb1c8d_zpsdeb28284.jpg
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    That EL95 will deliver about 3W clean and twice that easily if you drive the bllx off it. (va/g2=250V, Rk=330Ohms)
    I used to service Grundig recorders and I never had a mains* or OP traff fail so they should be good to go in a little amp. Use the 12AT7 as the front end tho it might be miccy in which case an 83. The EF86 as intermediate valve has vast tonal possibilties, see Merlin Blencowes book.

*N.B! That traff MUST be PAT tested. Oh, and all the caps will be forked.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited September 2013

Most of these old tape recorders from the 60's had single ended amps of one sort or another in them and are therefore candidates have their musical guts recycled into a small guitar amp.  

I got a Phillips reel to reel and did this with the guts of it ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/1049/turning-a-reel-to-reel-tape-deck-into-an-ac4-first-amp-build#latest

• My mums food blender use's a matched pair of EL95's. Hmmm cakes from the 50s :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the Brimar 12AT7's to cool down a valve amp for use with harmonica.

Cooooli-o!

Does the meter still work?

Dave.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    where else I seen this toted about??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Flanging_Fred said:

My converted Ferrograph reel to reel

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/84E12490-59DF-4F0F-ACD0-CA3011AE81A5-3727-000002EF8B1B869E.jpg

Cooooli-o!Does the meter still work?

Dave.
    Yep it works and lights up :)
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Flanging_Fred;305612" said:
    Sweet. I've got a slightly older Ferrograph I've been hacking at for years. My father rescued it from a skip at some point in the 1990s.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited July 2014
    ...is this like yours then...??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

A few weeks ago I fixed a Pye Black Box record player for my barber.

This was actually a rare transistor jobbie but most of them were all valves, push pull about 6W.

Fit a pre amp to one in finest Piano Black and I don't think even the most strident "significant other" could complain about it in the "reception room" (as the living room is now dubbed on tellie!) .

There are other record player possibilities and old valve radios but beware, much of this old kit was AC/DC and not safe to plug into.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    ecc83 said:

There are other record player possibilities and old valve radios but beware, much of this old kit was AC/DC and not safe to plug into.

I was working on a 1946 Selmer lap steel with the amp built into the case a couple of months ago - the oldest British-made guitar amp I've heard of - and had to advise the customer that the amp part was best left as a non-functioning museum piece, since converting it to an acceptable modern safety standard would have involved completely rebuilding it and destroying a lot of its historical value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

I was working on a 1946 Selmer lap steel with the amp built into the case a couple of months ago - the oldest British-made guitar amp I've heard of - and had to advise the customer that the amp part was best left as a non-functioning museum piece, since converting it to an acceptable modern safety standard would have involved completely rebuilding it and destroying a lot of its historical value.

Ah now! My daughter (43 and into "retro" would LOVE a caddy!) expressed great glee at the Black Box and said she would love one or similar. I am therefore on the hunt. Not a BB, too expensive! No, I am after a Dansette or maybe a Bush record player. Problem is some of these were AC/DC so I am also looking to source small, 50va or so 1:1 mains iso traffs.

Have money, any condition considered! Hope to do it for Crimble.

Dave.

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    edited August 2014
    57Deluxe;308364" said:

Yep, that is mine. Bit of a crappy demo though, this is a little more musical...

@Roog

The Ferrograph belonged to my dad and wasn't working at all. I rescued it just before he took it to the tip and took it to a mate who builds and fixes amps. He brought it back to life for me.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Fantastic. :D
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    57Deluxe;308364" said:

Yep, that is mine. Bit of a crappy demo though, this is a little more musical...

@Roog

The Ferrograph belonged to my dad and wasn't working at all. I rescued it just before he took it to the tip and took it to a mate who builds and fixes amps. He brought it back to life for me.
    I looked for one my self! The older ones looked like collectors items