SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted: Deluxe Reverb '68 custom (or princeton)

What's Hot
SammmSammm Frets: 26
I'm looking for one of the newish '68 custom deluxe reverbs, although may consider a princeton or other fender type lowish wattage amp. Silverface?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 584
    edited December 2014
    Aren't we all :-) it's paying for them that's the tricky bit . . . 68 DR Yummy !!!
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SammmSammm Frets: 26
    Very true! The reviews seem great and I got the chance to play the Princeton Custom '68 and was blown away - I'm not usually a massive fender amp fan but it was awesome. The deluxes can be had for under £900 new but hardly anyone is selling theirs so the used market pretty much doesn't exist it seems
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Keep an eye on Gumtree for vintage Silverface examples of either one - they're out there, and would be the better investment for the same money.
    yeah I have been keeping an eye out, I've got a friend who's selling an original '68 princeton reverb for £1100 but can't really stretch that far to be honest
  • FaffFaff Frets: 29
    I've just ordered a 68 CDR from www.dv247.com at £850. 30 day try out and 9 months interest free credit - whats not to like?
    Considered the 68 Princeton but it sort of feels like the £100 price difference makes it expensive compared to the 68CDR
    Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

@Faff, I actually ended up getting a new CDR on monday too from Wunjos on Denmak street for £840 and whilst it sounds amazing the background hiss/hum is driving me mad; I'm going to return it today to see if they can fix the problem or replace the amp. My thoughts exactly in terms of the deluxe being better value than the princeton 
    I've heard mixed reports about the level hiss&hum. I'll get mine next week and we can compare notes.
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    I wouldn't really consider the deluxe as better value than the Princeton. Both amps will cost a similar amount to manufacture. It's just a case of picking which volume output suites you best. Princetons IMO have more magic though, better trem and reverb and get into the sweet spot at a great volume for recording and quiet gigs.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Faff;470906" said:
    I've just ordered a 68 CDR from www.dv247.com at £850. 30 day try out and 9 months interest free credit - whats not to like?Considered the 68 Princeton but it sort of feels like the £100 price difference makes it expensive compared to the 68CDR
    I paid £650 for my 68 Princeton from PMT.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    I've just bought a used 68 CDR and I love it. Reverb went off last week but it was just a loose wire. Vibrato is a bit noisy, got that thump that is an issue with some, turned up it's not really a problem. Yet to gig it mind so not sure if it will be picked up when mic'd ..... great amp though.

#thebatesmotelband
    Yes I know that 68CDR is not just a 2 channel version of the 69Princeton - they do have different characters. I could not find a 68 Princeton for £650 or I may have given that consideration. Maybe I'll just order one on trial, but the hassle of waiting in and then returning one of the amps puts me off - poor excuse I know.

• Faff;471068" said:
    Yes I know that 68CDR is not just a 2 channel version of the 69Princeton - they do have different characters. I could not find a 68 Princeton for £650 or I may have given that consideration. Maybe I'll just order one on trial, but the hassle of waiting in and then returning one of the amps puts me off - poor excuse I know.
    I went in-store and haggled the price down ;)
    Good for you! I didn't think you'd get that low in store.  
    Next time I'm buying something I'll put you on commission. :)

• Faff;471167" said:
    Good for you! I didn't think you'd get that low in store.  Next time I'm buying something I'll put you on commission. :)
    I love the chase to be honest. Phone the big boys and speak to people. You'll get where you want to be with a bit of work. Thomann are always a good starting point for negotiations. They're currently knocking princetons out at a couple of quid over £700.
  • MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited January 2015
    @Sammm - I have a 2001 65 DRRI I might sell...
    So I took my deluxe back to denmark street yesterday and they compared it to another they had in stock and although the other had a bit of hiss, it was a lot less noticeable than mine. They're going to have a go fixing mine but if it's no better I can just take the other one they have. 

I'm vaguely tempted to get the princeton instead though, as I'd prefer the slightly earlier break up. For those that have them and use a dirtier sound, how are you guys driving your deluxe reverbs? Would an attenuator be a bad idea?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    Think they are just generally noisy amps going off what others say, but mine is no more noisy than other amps I've owned.
    Using an XTS Precision Overdrive and a Suhr Koko Boost with mine,sounds great.
    #thebatesmotelband
    Yeah they are awesome, really can't wait to get it back. I have been contemplating getting power scaling installed by my tech so I can run it at lower volumes but still get natural driven valve sounds and without working the amp flat out like you would do with an attenuator. They start to sound amazing from around 4-5 but even that in a practice room situation seems too loud
    Got my 68CDR yesterday.
    First problem is it had a Euro lead on it. It's marked EU 230V 
    Is that right or are there UK 240V versions.
    It's also noisy but it sounds good so I'm seeing how it goes within the money back period.

• Mine came with a euro lead too. PMT sent a uk lead through the post.