Plectrum's edge

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3688
    I pick like Benson, Lane (not as well of course)
    Heavy, stiff pick helps with the tension as it gains some momentum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah viz - you use the side of the finger... and there's not so much of an angle with your thumb - so I'm assuming you're a downward pickslanter.
  • My elbow angle doesn't change either. It's more of a rotation thing.

I'll see if I can get a pic on of how I hold the plectrum now.

• Damn, another one who holds it "correctly". I find it so awkward holding it to the side of the forefinger but now I'm DEFNIITELY going to start doing it.
  • I didn't back the index finger up with the second finger when I first started, and as a result it bends noticeably to the right. I tried to take a pic of it, but couldn't hold the camera.

Just noticed that my hands make me look 60 years old too.

• Haha, girlfriend says that about my hands!
  • Weird thing is I push in with the pad of my index finger so instead of curling in, it PRESSES AGAINST the pick instead, if you see what I mean. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited January 2015
    Check out the master at 3:00:

Heh doesn't have it right to the edge. I don't think I'm over-analysing lol..Also at times he holds the pick right at the edge where it hits the string, similar to what I do mainly, but he does it only sometimes.
    edited January 2015
  • Some cool licks in there. I could do with learning some new flashy lines, I always blast through the same old shit when I practice.

• Me too, this year is going to be different. Going to learn group of fives licks which is bound to make a difference
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16310
    After checking out more of Troy's stuff, I've come to realise I'm an upward pick slanter like MeolaMclaughlin/Moore etc (as viz hinted at) - maybe not so strange after all! Turns out a lot of people play this way! 
    Downslanters are Yngwie/Friedman etc. 
    Paul Gilbert doesn't seem to have a preference (neutral pick slant).

Have to say this is a real revelation for me. Never quite realised I was doing it before but I definitely upslant my pick!! I'm in good company with those players mentioned (wish I had their skills!). Now I'm going to try and be a whole lot more confident about it...
    tell me more about the upward  slant/picking links?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Just YouTube troy Grady - check out his site and his videos. Very entertaining!
    @viz with the heel of the hand on the bridge when you pick... do you focus on the feel of the contact between the thumb and the string (the feeling of the thumb pushing through the string) or just the motion of the wrist?
    I think it has to be a bit of both. No thumb feel (all wrist) and it's like a precision is gone.
    No wrist and tghe main muscle movement is gone, hindering any sort of speed. 

I should post some videos. 
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited March 2016
    I think despite the force being applied from the wrist, it's in the thumb (downstroke) or finger (upstroke) that Newton's 3rd law is felt - that's where you feel the resistance, not in the wrist. Yes, post a vid!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Thanks for the answer. 
    Actually I guess I DO have vids (follow sig links and slow down in YouTube for analysis). 
    I should do one at a side angle (like GoPro on the neck) where you can see the hand moving up and down for crosspicking or across for alternate. Would love Troy to analyse my style because... it needs to be better!! Trying to undo bad habits here and it's a long process.