SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Two Rock Coral 40w Head

stottfoldstottfold Frets: 19
edited March 2015 in Amps £
Selling my Two Rock Coral as I need to downsize rig. Less than 4 months old, boxed as new, complete with footswitch and original packaging. Also listed on eBay but open to offers or trades on here. £2,075 collected from Bedford or Milton Keynes - shipping also possible at buyers cost and risk.

The Coral delivers superb cleans with plenty of headroom, along with an ODS style cascading gain structure for sweet 'Dumble' overdrive. Shared EQ with the standard Two Rock shift switches and awesome tone stack bypass. Reverb send and return for both channels. Footswitch for overdrive and EQ bypass. Perfect for Mayer and Schofield tones - works great with and without pedals!

Would consider trades for Two Rock Crystal or possibly Studio Pro. Two Rock 1x12 cab (loaded with Celestion Creamback G12M-65) may also be available depending on next amp being head or combo!

Two Rock Coral Specs: 
  • Output Power: 40W 
  • Resistance: 2 x 4 ohm outputs for 2 cabs at 8 ohms, or 2 x 8 ohm outputs for 2 cabs at 16 ohms 
  • Tubes: 4 x 6V6 Solid-State Rectified 
  • Reverb: Reverb send and return for both channels 
  • Dimensions: 20 5/8" wide x 12" tall x 10 1/2" deep 
  • Weight: 47 LBS 
  • Loop: Passive effects loop 
  • Features: Reverb send and return, Dual channel amp with shared EQ and cascading gain, Treble, Middle, Bass EQ controls with boost switches and EQ shift switch, Presence, Gain, Volume, and Overdrive gain and volume controls, Cathode bias and fixed Bias switch
More info from Two Rock site.

Checkout this great demo video from Coda: 

More pics available here. Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bump for any Two Rock fans?
  • Played this again today and it sounds amazing! Anyone got any experience of attenuators with TR amps? Be ideal if I could keep hold of the Coral, whilst keeping the volumes lower when playing at home and smaller gigs.

Also still up for trades if anyone has smaller TR amp and wants to go bigger? :)
  • I had a Tube Amp Doctor Silencer for my Two Rock Studio Pro Head running into a 2x12. It was actually a really good unit and you can power soak the amp if you wish (ideal for later night playing via the FANTA out). That said, I sold the attenuator as I found I got a better sound running at lower volumes than soaking a lot of power. I used it in my flat as I had to keep the noise down. The TAD lasted about 2weeks before I decided it was really working for me. I would still recommend it though...
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    I use a SP22 w/ Marshall powerbrake...IMHO it works well. Might be worth looking for a s/h attenuator (or borrowing one to try?) and see how you like it...could be a financially less painful than selling a nearly new amp, especially if you like it. If your ever up near the east midlands you'd be welcome to try it with a hotplate or powerbrake.
  • Thanks @MartinBlythe - I'll check it out.

I found the effects return/master vol on the rear panel of the SP really effective for playing at home, but the Coral doesn't have that. It still sounds great at low volumes but just makes the volume control a little too sensitive!
  • Great, thanks @Lodious - I'm trying to get hold of a hotplate to try. Used to find it handy on THD Univalve I had a while ago. Cheers
  • That's why I love the Studio Pro. The Effects return works a treat for lower volumes. To be honest, that's why I sold the Silencer. It may be worth checking out an attenuator before swapping out the amp. But you can't go wrong with any Two Rock :)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    I don't know this am at all but if it's like many of the Two Rock amps, its based on a Dumble Overdrive Special (Cascading gain stages, shared EQ). In my experience, the Master Volume on this style of amp is very good, and the "drive tone" is pretty much designed to be preamp only - so placing an attenuator on the output is not likely to have any more impact on the sound than simply turning down the master or turning down the FX return as this is "post master".

• Yep you're right, Master Volume is really good on this amp - had another play today and it definitely maintains tone at lower volumes. Just need to be very precise when making any adjustments to the Master (always find myself notching it up a bit!). Going to persevere without attenuator for now. Cheers 
  • stottfoldstottfold Frets: 19
    edited January 2015
    Price reduced to £2,075 - that's 25% off new price in 4 months! Decided I want to get Studio Pro again, or maybe a Crystal combo!

Here is another good video review of the Coral:

I've added some more pics to original post too. Cheers!
  • Bump!
  • Danny80Danny80 Frets: 14
    Bit late I appreciate, but has this been sold? Thanks D
    Sorry, I'm afraid it went yesterday @Danny80 - traded for Two Rock Crystal 40 combo. They're both great amps!
    Ah no way, was looking at trading my Crystal 40 for a Coral! Can I ask why you wanted the Crystal over the Coral? I played both in store but walked away with the Crystal because I think the cleans are better, but the Coral has a great overdrive on the other hand. That sticks in my mind, though I do have a nice SOV2 for drive so that works as well. . . Oh well. Thanks D
    edited March 2015
    Ah no! Sorry @Danny80 I traded it with @CDM83 yesterday - both of us were really un-decided between the Coral and Crystal too, they're both great sounding amps!

I went for the Crystal combo as I'm mainly playing at home at the minute and only playing smaller venues when I gig. I use my strat most of the time with a clean/slight breakup sound - I'm trying some funky rhythm stuff at the minute with delays and looper and find the Crystal better suited for this.

The Coral overdrive is amazing though, I think it has the edge over my O/D pedals (Jan Ray and SOV-2). I did an short comparison a few weeks ago:

The tone stack bypass is another great feature and really cuts through the mix in a band situation. It's a really versatile amp and great for gigging. I think the cleans can match the Crystal but it's definitely a brighter sounding amp - I had to cut the presence and rollback the tone a bit to suit my taste.

I'm really happy with the Crystal for my current situation, but I'm sure I'll want a head and cab again sometime in the future - and it'll be the Coral that others will have to beat!

Good luck with the search mate, hope you get sorted soon. Cheers.

Thanks for the response, enjoy. D
  • smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
    Dammit I seriously wish I had seen this sooner. I'm hunting down a coral right now!
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
    Ah no! Bad timing @smogfalls - hope you find one soon mate. Suhr Badger looks good though, I've not played one but heard good things about them. Cheers
    I have a TR Crystal combo I'm selling, if you're interested. Awesome amp, haven't listed it just yet . . . D