Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ironic First post re. TV

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    hootsmon said:

^ *sigh* holds heart......a fellow Scot

:) :)

Reminds me of Scrat with the acorn.

Wearing a kilt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Have you fiddled with the settings? Look online for a base to work from
    My V key is broken
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    hootsmon said:

hi....I'll have a chamomile tea with a little honey and an empire biscuit please

wot's a TV?

I assume that's code for Buckfast and deep fried Mars bars?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I know bugger all about telly's. Ours is a Sony Bravia big HD thing,wife sorts it all.

No need for a shite picture tho. We were in the Costco yester, and the pics on some of the Telly Monsters they had in there were oooosh. If they can get that in a warehouse etc etc.

And welcome aboard me old son.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Welcome

Services, Settings, HDOutput=1080p?

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Specs look fine...should be a good picture....you tried a games console or something like?

I assume your sky box is using the HDMI connection?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    Perceived picture quality depends on what you're comparing with. Loads of people hate the sd channels quality through Sky hd. Hd isn't that hd if you're 3ft from a 50 inch panel either, but get a Blu Ray on there and see.

Hi and welcome. :-)
  • First are you using HDMI? I've seen modern TVs hooked up via Scart .......?
    Then make sure sky box outputs at 720p (looks better than the 1080i option in my opinion.)
    Also you might want to set the picture settings on the TV.
    Old DVDs used to come with a calibration option which you needed some blue filtered glasses to use. No doubt there are calibration kits for sale.

Don't go and buy an HDMI cable for £80. There is no point. A £5 cable that is certified to the 1.4 or 2.0 standard is enough unless you are running really long cable lengths
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    My experience of Sony is that it's probably not faulty unless the warranty has just run out, so it may be something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I know. Seems counterintuitive but definitely not as expected. Much footering with settings may be required. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks @axe_meister I'll give that a look
    Thanks all.

After much fiddling, reading guides and trying different sources I have concluded that its just too big for the application. John Lewis returns policy too the rescue.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    cj73 said:
    Been lurking a while, just looking for an in….you're all great you know? 
    We know, but all fawning greatly appreciated - you'll fit in nicely.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    cj73 said:
    Thanks all.

After much fiddling, reading guides and trying different sources I have concluded that its just too big for the application. John Lewis returns policy too the rescue.
    Interesting. This is one of the reasons I've always preferred smaller TVs than is generally considered normal... I only have a 32" in my front room.

The same number of pixels spread over a wider area doesn't look better… like sitting too close to the screen in the cinema.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome cj73 like you I treated myself to a new TV this year end a  tesco 32" flat screen thingy unlike yours my picture is fine its just the sound that is crap. better when plugged into  the gramophone though 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 560
    edited January 2015
    have a search on AVFORUMS.com for the recommended settings for your particular model. They also have a simple to follow generic set up guide which is great.Calibration pictures can be found on loads of DVD';s Theres some on the Star Wars DVD for example..

There are loads of settings and extra features on new TV's which are just not required.Black level,noise,motion control etc.
    which just make the picture worse. Lots of settings are counter intuitive so the guide is a great place to start.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    What attracted you to the Sony?  Picture quality, features, sound (??) etc.  What did your dealer say when you complained about the poor picture quality?  IMHO BBC1 HD is pretty good, you may find that the colour settings on the TV are too harsh or vivid for use at home.  Great in a shop as all the TVs are harsh and vivid, to attract the eye of the purchaser.  Tone down the colours slowly and see the effects on BBC 1.  It goes without saying that the TV is connected to the Sky HD box with the HDMI cable and not SCART........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, after returning the 42" and going for the same model in 32" guise and much mucking around and reading that rather dangerous avforum ( thanks for that @bobblehat .... More life sucking fun there!) it would seem that I am happy with my picture . It does seem though that the answer is to turn of all the "enhances" for the good HD sources and channels. Well played everyone. Now to address the broken iPhone problem.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 560
    cj73 said:
    Well, after returning the 42" and going for the same model in 32" guise and much mucking around and reading that rather dangerous avforum ( thanks for that @bobblehat .... More life sucking fun there!) it would seem that I am happy with my picture . It does seem though that the answer is to turn of all the "enhances" for the good HD sources and channels. Well played everyone. Now to address the broken iPhone problem.
    Sorry about that, much like this forum you can lose a few days there! 
    Lots of useful info though.