Tip for any hoarders wanting to extend their Wi Fi router range with a Wi Fi repeater

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
edited January 2015 in Off Topic

I got a Devolo homeplug type thing, it manages to get a signal through two consumer units on one old circuit by some miracle.

I was scavenging stuff out in the loft for transformers and electronics and found 3 old boxed BT routers.  One of the first ones BT did with several Ethernet connections was the 2500V.  I tried plugging it into the Home Hub router via the ethernet and connecting to it wirelessly and it worked. 

So I plugged the Devolo into the first Ethernet socket and the TV into the second and now have another, second wireless internet connection, via the 2500V and wireless key which as fast as laptop, which is 8 metres away from the latest Home Hub router.

I was reading up on reprogramming routers and failed at that. 

I don't actually know why this works, it doesn't work with other, more modern BT routers like another earlier Home Hub version, but the 2500V BT one does work OK as a repeater and I think that was an option back in the day.

Be OK for a shed or something at the end of the garden or if you live in a car park.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    edited January 2015
    Homeplugs and Ethernet hubs/switches are far better option IMHO - more predictable and reliable (and secure).

I hate BT Home Hub WiFi hubs as they don't offer MAC level security - a 1p cost item that would improve things immeasurably.

Too many WiFi hubs and you will get bandwidth contention - there aren't that many channels available, and all your neighbours are in the same WiFi frequency bands.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe the router is a pure router and you used to have a dedicated modem that provided the DHCP settings. Generally if you are doing this you have to disable DHCP on the router which may or may not be possible with the standard firmware. I've flashed a previous router with open source firmware in the past to provide just thus functionality.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Yeah, I tried to do this, but have no idea what it means and following the online firmware instructions didn't work. All the other BT routers I have won't work as repeaters, I guess as you have to disable and assign it a new IP.  The 2500V was plug and play as a repeater and since I am thoroughly ignorant on this sort if thing, it was a shit in the dark.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock