Coeliac?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If it is coeliac disease at least you have a lot of choice of gluten free things because of the trend.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    holnrew said:
    If it is coeliac disease at least you have a lot of choice of gluten free things because of the trend.
    Yeah, though I'm concerned what might happen if people stop being wankers!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    holnrew said:
    Yeah, though I'm concerned what might happen if people stop being wankers!
    trouble is with the current trend is the backlash, read about this tosser:

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I have every single symptom under the behavioural category. Very few of the physical ones though.

So I think probably I'm just trapped in a loveless marriage and hate my job.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    See happiness thread.  Marriage and a job are two things.  There in lies your problem.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • This is quite an interesting article about Gluten free.

I definitely agree with the idea that lots of people try eating gluten free, avoiding cakes, beer, and pizza for a fortnight, then miraculously discover that they feel better and have lost weight and decide that it must have been the gluten. The idea that maybe its the way cheap bread is produced that is causing the problems and not gluten itself is definitely an interesting one. 

Get yourself checked out Mike, hopefully they'll get you sorted out. Good luck. 
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited January 2015
    not the same i know, but I have diverticulosis and 11 years ago the surgeon wanted to remove part of my bowel because he said it was the only way to treat it.
    I went to see a dietician who told me that my condition is exasperated by wheat and cows dairy - I took his advice and completely cut out wheat and all cows dairy ( apart from skimmed milk in tea & coffee) and I haven't had a single infection since .no more antibiotics,no surgery . In addition to managing the condition,I also lost nearly 3 stone in weight in about 10 weeks. And because I can no longer eat pizzas, kebabs,burgers,pasta and all the other shit that I used to live on, I'm considerably healthier now too.
    if it turns out that you do have it, there are loads of really good wheat (& gluten) free products available now and once you get your head round it, it's easy.
    Good luck!!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Aside from for those with Coeliac disease, I have always made the point to people that we evolved to eat meat, fruit, nuts. 
    Yet 70% of the average diet is now solely wheat
    I assume this is not ideal for many people really

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I totally agree with that.  I got black patches under my eyes again, from out of nowhere after eating five processed muesli bars and I've always had incredibly itchy nuts and skin everyday although never had ezma or any skin conditions.  Definitely some sort of allergy going on.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    k... just did a bonk. No longer in a loveless marriage.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • manimani Frets: 11
    I recently developed an alergy which I can manage with a gluten free diet. It's worth watching this video regarding 'gluten' and the symptoms of a modern wheat diet:

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    mani said:
    It's worth watching this video regarding 'gluten' and the symptoms of a modern wheat diet:

Not one of the most captivating presenters I've watched ... and I'm not even sure that his argument was well presented.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Doctors today. They reckon could easily be any/all of thyroid, coeliac and vita deficiency, so blood tests for all those as a start, then more later if needed. In any case, suggestion was that coeliac or at least intolerance is likely given family history and correlation. Time to try some new recipes...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Good they're being thorough. 
    My V key is broken
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    edited January 2015
    Banting/Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diets work wonders for Celiac suffers.  Also promotes weight loss, and reduces cholesterol levels,

I suffer, along with an interesting array of other genetic issues, and LCHF works wonders for my system.

Marlin
    TheMarlin said:
    Banting/Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diets work wonders for Celiac suffers.
    My digestive system always liked the Atkins diet - for reasons that I didn't realise at the time (it was pre-diagnosis).
    edited January 2015
    The problem with the Atkins (which is basically LCHF) is that a lot of people just believe the rubbish printed in the press, and thought it was a meat only diet.  I'm a vegetarian(though, now eat fish). For me, the LCHF is a bit more tricky, as it is aimed at meat eaters, but you really do need to make sure you get plenty of green veg/salad to make the diet work well.  On the plus side, the more fat, the better.  So, I drink a lot of coffee with cream and full fat milk, Food fried in coconut oil, and lots of salad with oily dressings. My cholesterol is perfect, my weight has been dropping since I started the diet, dry skin patches have cleared up, severe joint paint disappeared, and digestive system works perfectly.

I miss beer though.....Love IPA's and strong pale ales.... But, small price to pay for much improved general health/wellbeing.

Marlin ;)
    TheMarlin said:
    The problem with the Atkins (which is basically LCHF) is that a lot of people just believe the rubbish printed in the press, and thought it was a meat only diet. 

I used to do Atkins fairly "properly", and change it as I went through the different stages.

Breakfast would be a smoked salmon or cheese & bacon or (etc) omelette, plenty of salads with steaks, and quite a lot of fish/chicken too.  I'd lose a stone in a month, but then gradually put it back on when I stopped the diet (it was only ever a short-term, quick-hit diet).
    That's the thing with diets. 

If you have something like Celiac's Disease, the LCHF/Banting/Atkins shouldn't be a diet, but instead a way of life.  

Easier to say than do  I'm living proof of that....

M ;)