Cheap reliable alternatives to George Ls for a pedal board.

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
Hello i'm looking at getting my pedal board finally assembled. I've just bought a nice bypass looper, all i need to do is just wire it all up. I'm about 20 sockets or connections from finishing it.
Considering the George L's stuff isn't exactly cheap, could somebody suggest an alternative. As I'm trying to squeeze a far few pedals on the board the size of the George L's stuff appealed to me. I just dont want to buy junk.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12025
    I have lava tightrope solder free ultrmafic, it's £45 for 10 plugs. Though through lava's site until end of today you can buy one get one free for $90...should work out around £80 for 2 packs after shipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    Legend thank you I managed to score a set of 10 George L's for £60 a while ago. I need another twenty or so, and didn't fancy paying another £160 or so :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    It has to be the Top End, tightrope kit for $89.95. Check their Instagram for the exact advert.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    Thanks again, I have added a note to the seller asking them to confirm that I be receiving the extra set. I may just find somewhere else to squeeze a fuzz on :P
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11503
    I'd steer clear of George L.  I've had quite a lot of reliability issues with them.  I don't know what the other solderless ones are like but these days I'm playing it safe and using soldered ones.

I bought some patch cables from Rob at Kabl (who is on this forum) which have been rock solid.  When I needed to make a bit more space on my board, I bought myself some Hicon low profile jacks and some cable from Thomann and made some up myself.  I think Rob does low profile ones now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Lava are great at sales recently, and they always say it's their only one haha! They are becomming the DFS of cables.

I've used ultramafics from a while now, bit tricky to make, so watch their youtube vid on it, and it is much easier! Don't just go in gung ho, like me haha
    joeyowen said:
    Lava are great at sales recently, and they always say it's their only one haha! They are becomming the DFS of cables.

I've used ultramafics from a while now, bit tricky to make, so watch their youtube vid on it, and it is much easier! Don't just go in gung ho, like me haha

Yup, Youtube Lava Tightrope and its the top result on YouTube I think.  I made a dozen and was naff, hit and miss with the Multi meter.  Then watched that and every single one worked first time since.  Very easy to make if you follow the rules, namely - tide copper braiding back, 3-4mm core expose, peel back black cover, push in until it clicks and turn.

The sale they have on also the same one back on Black Friday, no doubt it'll be back on at Easter again, and then Independance day in July. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    crunchman said:
    I bought some patch cables from Rob at Kabl (who is on this forum) which have been rock solid.  When I needed to make a bit more space on my board, I bought myself some Hicon low profile jacks and some cable from Thomann and made some up myself.  I think Rob does low profile ones now.
    He does and pancake ones. Another vote for KaBL

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    @RaymondLin , the size of your board, I'm shocked you have any finger tips left haha No wonder your an expert :)
    edited January 2015
    joeyowen said:
    @RaymondLin , the size of your board, I'm shocked you have any finger tips left haha No wonder your an expert :)
    lol, not to mention I had to double back for all the ones connected to the Looper! Went through 5 packs of the stuff.  I really got the hang of it now, doesn't hurt my fingers at all when making them.