RIP Denmark st, affectionately known as Tin Pan Alley

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
edited January 2015 in Guitar
Ahh, the happy days of a trip to Londons Denmark st in the 80s. An Aladdin's cave spread out over the space of one small street, a pilgrimage made many times throughout the year to feast on amazing instruments. As we all know, the area has slowly died a painful death over the years, and it sounds like the final death knell is imminent: http://thebluemoment.com/2014/12/31/farewell-to-tin-pan-alley/
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Won't miss that place.

Used to work on Charing Cross Road and pop up to the church at the top for a lunchtime joint.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I work near Warren Street.
    I'll have to visit Denmark Street before it's gone...maybe I'll have a spliff first.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shame to see a bit of history go.  On a trip to London I usually end up there even if it's only for a browse through the music books.  I won't miss the ludicrously overpriced guitars or snotty, posy shop assistants though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't say I am too upset by this to be honest. Somebody said once there are more custom colour strats in Denmark St than Fender made at one point, due to all the fakes and stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a massive shame - yes, it's full of mainly overpriced shops, but there's a lot of history that goes with the place...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31785
    I bought my first Fender in Denmark Street in 1981, and although it's not what it was it was an incredibly exciting place for a teenager from South Wales.

Sad news.
  • p90fool;466076" said:
    I bought my first Fender in Denmark Street in 1981, and although it's not what it was it was an incredibly exciting place for a teenager from South Wales.

Sad news.
    Same here - South Wales lad (still am) and although it's not the cheapest place to buy a guitar, there's a certain magic about the place, eapecially for a visitor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:

Sad news.

should have gone to Sound center in Cardiff, great old shop about that time. That made way for the St David's Center
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24738
    Letting it die and remembering the glory days is a far better tribute than the insult of letting it continue as a travesty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23446
    I always wander up and down Denmark Street and have a look in the windows when I'm in the area (not often, although I only work a mile away), but I don't think it's anything like it used to be.  Still, it'll be a shame to see it go.

I've been more saddened by the disappearance of nearly all the bookshops in Charing Cross Road.  I guess you can't stop progress....

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31785
    koneguitarist;466084" said:
    p90fool said:

Sad news.

should have gone to Sound center in Cardiff, great old shop about that time. That made way for the St David's Center
    I used to, pretty well weekly. Miserable, arrogant bunch of pricks.
    Denmark Street had a magic about it 35 years ago which was definitely lacking in Gamlins and Sound Centre.

Obviously the magic is long gone, partly because it's seen better days and I'm now a jaded 50, but it's still a shame if it completely disappears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The 'real' Denmark Street died many years ago.  Became a bit of a shark pool.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn, I'm gonna miss having Westside there to check out new pedals.Regent's, & Rose Morris on the South side are great shops still too imo, and very fairly priced - more than willing to price match too when I've asked. :)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Hmm lunchtime joints - them were the days :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3084
    edited January 2015
    Used to love that street but like you gents I think the real Denmark street has long gone and it started going when Andy's closed down.

Last time I went there (December 2013)
    Rockers had gone which was a good place if you were a fan of metal guitars, always shit service though.

It's a shame there hasn't reallt been a community down that street. Imagine having our conversations on this board but in a real life setting of a decent size guitar shop or music bar. It didn't feel inviting. We can all love the romantic memory of that place though.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Shame but since Andy's went a few years ago, there haven't been any shops worth a light.

The best shop around there was Allbang and Strummits - and they weren't on Denmark St and went under years ago!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Westside will be missed, thats it though. Went into the rest once each and never retuned as they were all too pushy, or just twats. Only ever had good service at Westside though, chap was willing to concede when he didn't know something and offered to google it for me, rather than just bullshitting like i've found others will do.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8558
    Have seen it change over the last 20 years and it's been a slow painful death, RIP.
  • impmann said:
    Shame but since Andy's went a few years ago, there haven't been any shops worth a light.

The best shop around there was Allbang and Strummits - and they weren't on Denmark St and went under years ago!
    V
    I went there the day ( or week) they opened, must have been 1983, nice guys.
  • Last time I went in Andy's, I asked to try a LP, and he told me to put through the 70's Deluxe reverb? It was a 1983 Paul Rivera Deluxe!