Delay with loop?

What's Hot
I'm after one so I can put a pedal in the loop, probably for an octave.

Definite features I'd want: clean, or clean ish repeats (I have a juansolo delay for the dirtier stuff), a second of delay time on tap minimum. Tap tempo would be good, and not mechanical true bypass. Reliability is important.

The memory boy ticks some boxes, but it's ehx so the jacks and the switch will probably fail at some point.

Actually, if it was a digidelay or dd3 but with a loop, that would basically be good, I'm not desperate for tap tempo. Affordable is good, but I don't know if these features appear in affordable...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12025
    Duncan Seymour Vapor trail, JHS Panther Cub
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Skreddy echo has a loop too.

You can mod just about any delay fairly simply to include a loop, the issue is enclosure space for extra jacks. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • RaymondLin;466365" said:
    Duncan Seymour Vapor trail, JHS Panther Cub
    Already got a dirty delay, so neither are useful to me.

Both say true bypass with no mention of switching scheme, so the chances are it's a shitty mechanical switch.
  • randomhandclaps;466366" said:
    The Skreddy echo has a loop too.You can mod just about any delay fairly simply to include a loop, the issue is enclosure space for extra jacks. 
    Again, it's a dirty sounding delay - I'm after clean repeats I can modulate with the loop really.
  • Although modding an existing one would be neat @randomhandclaps. The dd3 has analogue dry through (which is cool) and clean repeats so if this is easily modded to have a loop that would be ace.
  • It can be done on the DD-3 without any extra holes needed.  You remove the Direct out jack and swap it for a stereo jack (one channel act as send and the other as return).  You need a 'Y' stereo to two mono jacks lead to connect it to your chosen pedal.  The stereo jack is then cut into the circuit - where depend on which version you have.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16327
    S Duncan Deja Vu. I think it ticks all the boxes, not exactly cheap though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary;466404" said:
    S Duncan Deja Vu. I think it ticks all the boxes, not exactly cheap though.
    I love the sound of this pedal, but again, I think the switches are 3pdt. Could be wrong, but I've had too many go wrong for me to be arsed to use them. There are better, more reliable options available to any builder.

I know I'm being difficult with regards to this, but seriously, I've had so many fail and I've only really been using pedals for about 4 or 5 years. I just can't be bothered having any more repaired because of a stupid switch choice.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Is it just oct in the loop you want? Because a few delays can do this, although the price really varies!

Boss PS3
    Digitech Timebender
    Eventide Pitchfator
    Empress Superdelay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen;466431" said:
    Is it just oct in the loop you want? Because a few delays can do this, although the price really varies!

Boss PS3Digitech TimebenderEventide PitchfatorEmpress Superdelay
    Ooo didn't realise some did octave up repeats anyway. Good shout.

The time bender could be a real contender, did @drew_fx get one recently?

A loop would be cool because I could pop more things in the loop to make things even more warped and twisted, but I suspect the most useful, musical application would be an octave up for hysteria-esque lead lines.
  • I own both the boss PS3 and The Empress. Both are great. The Empress is truly great, but has a hefty price tag to match - if you can snare an old PS3, you won't be disappointed. Has to be a 3 though; it's the only one of the boss phase shifters that has it. Mode 7 if you wish to YouTube examples. The empress is reverse mode C.
    joeyowen;466431" said:

Boss PS3Digitech TimebenderEventide PitchfatorEmpress Superdelay
    Ooo didn't realise some did octave up repeats anyway. Good shout.

The time bender could be a real contender, did @drew_fx get one recently?

A loop would be cool because I could pop more things in the loop to make things even more warped and twisted, but I suspect the most useful, musical application would be an octave up for hysteria-esque lead lines.
    Timebender is, and has always been, my favourite delay.  I go on about it a lot, so I'll keep it short.  But get one ;)  There is a two part demo by some shop on youtube that sells it well
  • GavHaus;466466" said:
    I own both the boss PS3 and The Empress. Both are great. The Empress is truly great, but has a hefty price tag to match - if you can snare an old PS3, you won't be disappointed. Has to be a 3 though; it's the only one of the boss phase shifters that has it. Mode 7 if you wish to YouTube examples. The empress is reverse mode C.
    I'll head to YouTube now.

I like the idea of a boss. What's bypass like? Some can be a bit iffy, though most are fine - and my board is pretty well buffered, so if it likes seeing a buffered signal that's fine.

I like the idea of a boss. What's bypass like? Some can be a bit iffy, though most are fine - and my board is pretty well buffered, so if it likes seeing a buffered signal that's fine.
    That really depends who you ask, or where you ask it.

The bypass is fine on all boss pedals I own, though non as old as the PS3. 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Would something with a wet and dry output work for you?...i.e. you might have a pedal next-in-line with stereo INs or something.  If so, you'd be able to do much the same thing as with the loop, but you'll probably find a few other options out there that might work with your requirements list.  For instance, I know my old E1 Headrush has wet/dry outs.  Think one of the newer Visual Sound delays has dual outs, too.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Checkout this audio clip of the Digitech Timebender that I did, that I would've posted before now, but I was in the cooler for calling Emp Fab a posterior-ejaculator.

• Drew_fx;466514" said:
    Checkout this audio clip of the Digitech Timebender that I did, that I would've posted before now, but I was in the cooler for calling Emp Fab a posterior-ejaculator.

Nice, that sounds really rather promising.

Not horrendously expensive either. Any negatives to add? It could be beating a few rather expensive boutique delays right now.
  • GavHaus;466496" said:
    No noticeable issues on mine
    Cool, I'll have an eBay around.

I do love boss pedals. I always think they're the coolest looking, an all boss board is something that I can't achieve but wish I could.
  • There's one on reverb with a make offer option.

Vintage Boss PS-3 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay https://reverb.com/item/397673-vintage-boss-ps-3-digital-pitch-shifter-delay