Epic gas - taylor 314

So today I played about 15 acoustic guitars from a £400 faith upto a £3000 taylor and now I'm gassing for a taylor 314ce... I did try a larrivee which resonated like crazy but couldn't get along with the body size, I was told that it's because the woods are pre aged, any truth in this? Wondering if the taylor would open up in the same way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I chose Larrivee over all others because of this resonant wonderfulness, it sounded like a Vulcan bomber attack compared to Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Guild, et al.

Larrivee know their wood, but then again so do Taylor. Was the Larrivee a dreadnought? I always wanted a 314ce but when I played one it didn't have the required oomph.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Although the 300 Series are the cheapest all-solid wood guitars Taylor make - and the cheapest US built models - to my ears they are among their best sounding. They have a lovely balance and lack the very bright high-end which some of the rosewood back and sides models exhibit, without loosing their signature clarity.

I have played a new one against one a few years old and the older one definitely had opened up - assuming that they would have sounded very similar when new.

The only Taylor wood combination which I prefer, is a cedar top, with mahogany back and sides (500). They have less headroom but respond beautifully to finger-picking. If you're a strummer, you probably would be better off with a 314.

I have a real admiration for Taylor. Their guitars are very consistent, always play well and - assuming you are not looking to replicate a Martin or Gibson tonally - sound good.
  • I'm a fan of Taylor acoustics… but I'd recommend trying out Lowden if you are in the £3k price range.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 208
    @bluechargeboy yes the larrivee was a dreadnaught, I could feel the whole guitar vibrating it truly did feel incredibly organic, a very nice guitar...

@richardhomer that's cool to hear that the taylor's open up, i'm hoping when I get one I'll keep hold it of it for a long time - i've had my current yamaha for 10 years,  so I'm hoping the taylor will improve with age! 
    @thisisguitar definitely  not in the £3k range... more £1.5k max...

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9744
    My Taylor 310 opened up a bit after a couple of years - the bottom two strings came alive. I suspect ditching Elixirs for D'Addarios at around the same time was also a factor.
  • In that case I'm with you on the 314ce. Only reason I bought a 214ce over the 314ce was because I'd hope to have a Lowden further down the line anyway… seemed sensible to keep the extra money towards one.
  • I'm picking up my 324ce this weekend, it's the all-Koa fall limited model though so slightly different in tone but an absolute gem. I haven't spent this much on a guitar in about 5 years so I'm a little excited, hope you manage to sort one out for you too! :)
    nice, I'm hoping to pick up a used one, but if one doesn't come up in the next couple of weeks might have to buy a new one ....
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    There was a 324 in the classifeld.
    ah can't find it , but may have found a 414...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028

It is actually a 314ce

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/6040/

He has withdrawn it for now. 

• My Taylor 310 opened up a bit after a couple of years - the bottom two strings came alive. I suspect ditching Elixirs for D'Addarios at around the same time was also a factor.
    For me, putting Elixirs on a Taylor is the equivalent of shoving a gas mask on Elizabeth Fraser and asking her to belt out Song To The Siren.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.