Voodoo lab sparkle drive mod, it ain't half bad!

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
edited January 2015 in FX
Just ordered one without trying. Just wondering if any one has had any experience with it.
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303

great pedal, really shines when used with other pedals to augment them,

Low gain settings are superb.

• Yeh, all the clips seem to sound pretty good. Any time I've been to a shop to try one, they've not had them in stock.Guitar guitar are knocking em out for £120 so I thought I'd take a punt. Fingers crossed my amp will approve [-O<
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I love the original one, the mod version looks quite interesting. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    Yeh, all the clips seem to sound pretty good. Any time I've been to a shop to try one, they've not had them in stock.Guitar guitar are knocking em out for £120 so I thought I'd take a punt. Fingers crossed my amp will approve [-O<
    if you don't like it, let me know I'll probably take it off you as I need spares
  • darcym said:
    Yeh, all the clips seem to sound pretty good. Any time I've been to a shop to try one, they've not had them in stock.Guitar guitar are knocking em out for £120 so I thought I'd take a punt. Fingers crossed my amp will approve [-O<
    if you don't like it, let me know I'll probably take it off you as I need spares

Will do!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    What is this about mod version. I have one and it is a good pedal...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    I'm pleased to find some people do like these and so my experience is purely personal and should not necessarily put anyone off ;).

Not played the 'mod' one but the original is probably the worst-sounding overdrive pedal I've ever tried. Awful, more nasal and boxy than usual TS-type overdrive and a parallel clean mix which never sounds blended, but is always completely separate and makes the whole thing sound like an amp with one partly blown speaker or something. It was so bad I asked the shop person if I could try another one in case it was faulty, and it was exactly the same...

So you may not love it, in which case they seem to be quite easy to sell :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Rocker said:
    What is this about mod version. I have one and it is a good pedal...

The mod is the newer version. It has an extra knob for different gain settings including the standard sparkle drive circuit.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBM said:
    I'm pleased to find some people do like these and so my experience is purely personal and should not necessarily put anyone off ;).

Not played the 'mod' one but the original is probably the worst-sounding overdrive pedal I've ever tried. Awful, more nasal and boxy than usual TS-type overdrive and a parallel clean mix which never sounds blended, but is always completely separate and makes the whole thing sound like an amp with one partly blown speaker or something. It was so bad I asked the shop person if I could try another one in case it was faulty, and it was exactly the same...

So you may not love it, in which case they seem to be quite easy to sell :).

Really looking forward to trying it now after that excellent review ICBM.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72927
    lol

I genuinely hope you like it, but I had to say that in case you don't and think it's just you ;).

For what it's worth I feel very nearly the same about the SansAmp GT-2, which I actually bought a second one of because I thought I may have misjudged the first... no, still hated it. With great reservations I sold it to a friend who wanted one, and he loves it! Even more amazing, he's playing it through my old amp too!

So it's me :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• as i said earlier @ICBM, the clips sound right up my street but then come to think of it all the pedals i've bought off the back of youtube clips have all been sent back or sold on  except my barber direct drive.

err... anyone want to buy a new sparkle drive

#-o
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! You are wrong for once ICBM. It sounds pretty good to me so far through the bandmaster and the blues jnr. The standard sparkle drive setting is nice and warm with no sign of wasp in a jam jar distortion. The next higher gain setting is nice and fat, good for thick lead tones. Not so keen on the final 2 settings though. The clean blend control is ok at lower gain settings but when the drive is turned up it does sound odd and disjointed. But overall I think it's a keeper! >:D<
    The Swamp City Shakers