Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

what goes jangle ? what goes 'pop'?

What's Hot

Comments

• It sounds daft, but I have found a jangly sound can come from reverb - specifically spring models.

It doesn't necessarily make a super unjangly sound jangle, but if you can try a spring type setting, give it a go and it might surprise you. The bright, splashy sound can liven up the tone a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    If I want sparkle and jangle I use a zvex SHO set at unity or else an orange squeezer comp clone. You can set the internal trimmer to give you more or less compression and it gives a really nice lively jangle especially with single coils. I've tried dozens of comps and I've always come back to the orange squeezer for nice bell like cleans. It also works very well into OD pedals.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16327
    Thanks again all. There are two ( just looked) compressor models for the istomp so I'll give them a go to see if they put me in the ballpark ( having remembered I can do that). If they are right in the ballpark I might get another istomp for £30 off thomann, otherwise I will start looking at others. Mr @IanSavage I shall bear that in mind. No longer work every day in Brum, usually once a month for head office meetings. Based in West Bromwich now with occaisional forays into Dudley. The glamour!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • What goes jangle pop? Jimmy Saville on the vinegar strokes.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633

There's the (expensive) Janglebox compressor which has at least got the right name... I once read you could get close to a Janglebox by modding a Dynacomp - this might be a cheaper option?

• What goes jangle pop? Jimmy Saville on the vinegar strokes.

genuinely lolling here!

ewal;468833" said:
    There's the (expensive) Janglebox coumpressor which has at least got the right name... I once read you could get close to a Janglebox by modding a Dynacomp - this might be a cheaper option?
    Yes, I'd spotted the Janglebox but I'd also spotted the price :o3
  • sticker said:
    A Rickenbacker.
    I raise you a Jaguar

It will out jangle a Ricky, so will a tele
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72925
    edited January 2015
    sticker said:
    A Rickenbacker.
    I raise you a Jaguar

Having owned and played all three at the same time through the same rig, I respectfully disagree :).

While most of the jangle is not in the guitar, of that which is, a Rickenbacker does have the most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Eric me mon: I have your answer.

It's the doctor J compressor, conveniently on sale at Coda as we speak for 20 odd notes.

It does light compression.

It does heavy compression.

It does zing.

It does jangle.

It rounds out and beefs up your tone.

In short it can do all sorts but best of all it has a mix control so you can blend the clean and effected signals so you retain what you like in your basic tone.
  • I think the jangle factor's all in your amp's base tone and for me that's a Vox AC15/30-type set on the edge of breakup through an alnico blue - all the chime and slight compression you'll ever need.
    Skarloey said:

It's the doctor J compressor, conveniently on sale at Coda as we speak for 20 odd notes.

It does zing.

It does jangle.

In short it can do all sorts but best of all it has a mix control so you can blend the clean and effected signals so you retain what you like in your basic tone.

ahh, I'd seen them but wondered a) are they a bit big ( I seem unable to tell from looking at pictures of pedals in isolation what size they are and ii) can something that cheap be any good?
    YouTube clips seem next to useless for compression pedals IMHO, here's one clean tone followed by a fractionally different clean tone followed by another fractionally different clean tone ( usually demonstrated with a generic funk riff - although that's what I'd do I can listen to myself anytime).
    I think the jangle factor's all in your amp's base tone and for me that's a Vox AC15/30-type set on the edge of breakup through an alnico blue - all the chime and slight compression you'll ever need.

oddly enough part of what I'm trying to do is sound like Neol Davies, the original guitarist in The Selecter who was a strat plus AC30 guy. The production on some of those records was awful but I've heard enough live versions over the years and he always sounds good.
    Apart from not having an AC30 my problem is not wanting to be Mr Jangley all the time so how do I turn it on for the odd song.
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited January 2015
    U might like a Koji Comp.

It has paralell compression, plus it has a three way 'voice' toggle', and there is a setting for a 'jangly' style tone.

It's definately not transparent, even with the mix dialled to predominantley to the unaffected signal i could still hear it compressing. Plus Suhr's build quality is top banana.
    stickyfiddle said:

Have you tried one with an attack control?
    Yes. It wasn't that, it was the lack of dynamics overall that frustrated me with every one I've tried.

But I really do like the sound when other people play them, so I may possibly try one of the others mentioned here which I haven't yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Get a compressor, but get one with a clean blend. 

That way you get "more", but without killing your dynamics.
    i.e. the Xotic SP Compressor.

The Janglebox Compressors are meant to be very good but like the Calis, they're dead expensive.

• ICBM said:
    sticker said:
    A Rickenbacker.
    I raise you a Jaguar

Having owned and played all three at the same time through the same rig, I respectfully disagree :).

While most of the jangle is not in the guitar, of that which is, a Rickenbacker does have the most.
    you would, wouldn't you :-P

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4625
    TC Spark boost?
    edited January 2015
    meltedbuzzbox said:

you would, wouldn't you :-P
    Yes, but it's true ;).

The Rick has the most upper-mid and slight natural compression, hence the most jangle. The Tele would be next, but it's more bell-like and ringing than actually jangly, and it's not compressed - it has a very direct, linear attack and sustain. The Jag is the least jangly - it's not at all compressed, it's bright, dynamic and percussive, almost an 'expanded' sound with a sharp attack and decay and lower-volume natural sustain.

I liked all three but I found the Jag's dynamics too limiting when I went to being the sole guitarist in the band. Too much the opposite of a compressor :).

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    Skarloey said:

It does zing.

It does jangle.

ahh, I'd seen them but wondered a) are they a bit big ( I seem unable to tell from looking at pictures of pedals in isolation what size they are and ii) can something that cheap be any good?
    YouTube clips seem next to useless for compression pedals IMHO, here's one clean tone followed by a fractionally different clean tone followed by another fractionally different clean tone ( usually demonstrated with a generic funk riff - although that's what I'd do I can listen to myself anytime).
    a) No it's not that big. Not much bigger than a Boss-sized box. 

b) Well put it this way: it's not bad. Cheap does not equal nasty in this case. 

I'll try to describe it another way. Compared to the previous compressor I owned (a Boss CS-3) it does far less 'squish' and doesn't compress the highs that much, though you do get the bottom frequencies taken away somewhat. 

It is very good at taking your basic tone and giving it a bit extra of what you're after. I decided I needed a compressor again because I've been recording a lot of stuff involving picking on the Tele, and it's great for giving me the extra clarity, note definition and all-round presence I was after. 

As I said the saving grace is the mix control, because you can get quite a variety of sounds that way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom