Legal advice

What's Hot
When you ask a solicitor for legal advice, and if you are actually breaking the law, are they compelled to report your crimes to the police?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't think so but it's unlikely they will represent you. Unless you use this guy....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    When you ask a solicitor for legal advice, and if you are actually breaking the law, are they compelled to report your crimes to the police?
    No, but iirc if you are, say, on a murder charge, and you tell them you did it, they can't state in court that you didn't, only that the other side can't prove you did it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Cheers guys!  Just curious....
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Lol ......... but did you??
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    Depends on the crime you have committed actually.

There are some offences where not only does the solicitor have to report you, if he then warns you about it he can go to prison himself.

But generally 99.999999% of toerags won't fit into the category for reporting.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    hmmm, are you Prince Andrew?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:

Nothing to do with sexual offences.

• Depends on the crime you have committed actually.

There are some offences where not only does the solicitor have to report you, if he then warns you about it he can go to prison himself.

But generally 99.999999% of toerags won't fit into the category for reporting.
    What offences?  I'm curious now and you're the very person on here who knows!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

VimFuego said:

Tax avoidance by chance?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I would have thought ultimately the answer may come down to how much money you have.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    If this were the case, how would criminal law ever work?

The answer is, it totally depends on a) who b) how you frame your issue. The 'hypothetical question' is always a good fall back.

I had this exact issue recently- I wanted a big law firm to act for a property client who has a criminal record and has had jail time.

He's also worth £600m. That made a difference- they acted!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

There is a difference between reporting your client and lying for your client.

you can't do either.

But for certain money laundering and terrorism offences a solicitor is obliged to report and cannot inform the client.

Gassage has it half right but for the wrong reasons.

There is a reason why lawyer will never ask you "Did you do it?" They will only ever ask "How do you want to plead?"

If a toerag says "I did it, but I want to plead not guilty" then the lawyer has 2 choices - he can agree with the client to not offer any evidence or he can refuse to take the case.

Not offering any evidence means that the prosecution presents their case and the defence tests it by cross-exmination etc. BUT when it comes to the Defence's turn to put their side the lawyer offers No Evidence. So doesn't tell any porkies on behalf of said toerag - in fact says nothing at all.

The judge / Jury then decide on guilt based on only the prosecution evidence and whether it has withstood the testing by the defence.

If your client says "I did it, I want to plead NOT guilty and I want you to present my evidence" then the lawyer MUST withdraw from the case because by presenting evidence of NOT GUILTY would be a lie.

The first duty is to the Court, not the client and the lawyer must never mislead the court.

So in Gassage's case there is no way the lawyers asked the bloke if he did it - they asked how he wanted to plead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

VimFuego said:

Tax avoidance by chance?

Money Laundering  / Terrorism stuff. The rules changed recently so I can't give an accurate list at the mo.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28097
    The first duty is to the Court, not the client and the lawyer must never mislead the court.

I didn't realise that - assumed that the lawyer's first duty was to the client rather than the court.  Not always that way that it's portrayed or implied on TV!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    VimFuego;469205" said:
    He's now denying that he had 10,000 men....
    TTony said:

I didn't realise that - assumed that the lawyer's first duty was to the client rather than the court.  Not always that way that it's portrayed or implied on TV!

Stop watching American telly then!

Different rules over there. Always funny to meet american lawyers who are doing transfer exams to practice here!

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    TTony said:

Stop watching American telly then!

Different rules over there. Always funny to meet american lawyers who are doing transfer exams to practice here!

My wife bangs her head on the wall between the law here in the UK and Europe.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    @fretmeister if in your last example they withdrew from the case then could they then be called upon by the prosecution (as it may look a bit suspicious that they withdrew)?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

BigMonka;469349" said:
    @fretmeister if in your last example they withdrew from the case then could they then be called upon by the prosecution (as it may look a bit suspicious that they withdrew)?
    Nah. Loads of other reasons it could happen too.