Sort your own courier

What's Hot
I've bought gear before where I've arranged the courier with no issues but have always arranged one when I'm selling (if needed obviously).

I've just wondered why some people don't want to arrange one? Surely it's easier for the seller to know when it is easiest to be collected from them or where is best for them to drop off? Not only that but it's pretty easy to book online as well.

Sorry but it just seems like an odd sales strategy to me. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess those types have never done it before...  probably they've seen other people put it on adverts and they're just copying that, thinking that it is some kind of bigger hassle than it is.  That is my guess anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    Yup.

Perhaps they've never done it, and don't know about InterParcel?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Nothing easier. Book and pay online, take product to work (ok, I'm lucky as we're never closed), let courier do their thing.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4293
    They do it because they think you are then taking responsibility for the delivery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JRLJRL Frets: 16
    It's been so long since I posted a guitar or amp, who's considered best and worst these days?
    I'm assuming ParcelForce are still known as ParcelFarce...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    CloudNine said:
    They do it because they think you are then taking responsibility for the delivery.
    They are probably also unaware that they're not protected by Ebay/Paypal in the event of something going badly wrong/chargeback scam etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    They do it because they can't be arsed to post it, but are too pussy to just be up front about it. Everyone knows no-one is going to be bothered to organize their own courier. "oh you wont ship something you want to sell? Screw you buddy! I'll go and buy a brand new one!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNine said:
    or to show honesty in delivery price, if buyer is sorting courier out no need to sort delivery price.. I have before accepted a £10 delivery charge only for it to be £13.45, I have also accepted a £10 delivery charge and it been £8.95. buyer arranging courier solves that issue.
  • I think you often see it on items which are either too fragile or too heavy to conveniently post.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • As a buyer that just puts me off straight away. If you can't be bothered arranging your own courier then I worry that you can't be bothered doing anything else properly either. 

As @CloudNine says, they do it because they think the buyer is taking responsibility for its safe arrival. That worries me, I want the person who packs it to have that responsibility (plus thats not how paypal will see it anyway). 

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I think you often see it on items which are either too fragile or too heavy to conveniently post.

I see it on various items that I send happily without any issues.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    I've done it on stuff I don't want to post.

I sold a very expensive bass that was for collection only. It went to Zurich I think and I was unable to fine anyone that would properly insure it so it was collection only.

Buyer was content to arrange a courier and take the shipping risk.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    oh, and once I sold a Marshall VBC 4X12 bass cab.

There was no way I was sorting out pallet transport!

But the buyer was in Poland and he was a transport manager for a haulage company, so he had an HGV take a detour to collect it! The HGV had done it's drop off so I was quite amused to see that the cab was the only thing going in the trailer!