Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live 9 Suite, Logic, Cubase or Reaper?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Traktion is single screen and data flows from left to right. You can do everything by dragging and dropping and I barely need to read the manual. Help boxes come up and are very informative. There's a lot more going on in Reaper - maybe it's more for pros, I'm not sure... but I can say, hand on heart, I find Tracktion a lot easier to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 2015
    Jeeeeezo... where do I even start with VST plugins - there are tens of thousands of them!

I guess I should only look at what I NEED.... so I've got drums covered with jamstix. Tracktion already features mastering/EQ plugins. Maybe a bass one and a few keyboards. 

I've spent ALL WEEK checking all this out. Time to actually play some guitar...... :o
    Throughout the next few weeks I'm going to read the full user manuals for Tracktion and jamstix again to make sure I'm getting the most out of them. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    edited February 2015
    sinbaadi said:
    Is Tracktion really that much more user friendly, or are you just used to it?  (Than Reaper)

It is, the straightforward workflow is a really easy to get the hang of and doesn't get in the way of creativity.  Doesn't use the Tape Machine/Mixer concept, or do really strange things for no apparent reason (or for obscure reasons buried n levels down in menus or option files).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 2015
    I was over at the KVR forum and they have tutorials on synths, mixing, just about everything. 
    To be honest, I was just using my ears before to hear what sounded best. Has anybody actually read a book or done a course on mixing? 

That book looks amazing. Anything you would actually recommend? 
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    I was over at the KVR forum and they have tutorials on synths, mixing, just about everything. 
    To be honest, I was just using my ears before to hear what sounded best. Has anybody actually read a book or done a course on mixing? 

That book looks amazing. Anything you would actually recommend? 
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Senior/dp/0240815807

This is a great book on the fundamentals of mixing. 
  • Thank you - have you read it? 
    I'm just wondering if a free website would be better, with concise summaries, rather than reading paragraphs and paragraphs. What do you think?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Had a bit of a mess around with these today.  Actually prefer Reaper tbh, more things are where I expect them to be, and do what I expect them to do. Tracktion 6 looks old too, I really dislike the GUI, Reaper is fiddly looking, lots of small buttons and text, but actually it all makes sense (at least to a newbie like me for whom the closest equivalent-level software I'm very competent with would be Adobe photoshop.)
  • Fair game! I'm the total opposite :D
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10499

The simplest software to learn is actually Protools ... there's only an edit screen and a mix screen and that's it (no one really does much midi in PT so I won't count the midi editor) and the desk operates like a normal desk in terms of in \ out and inserts 

For mixing videos Thomas see the GearSlutz video vault :

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Woah, great resource - thank you!