What's wrong with my Laney?

What's Hot
It's a VH100R

Tried using my Laney yesterday and all I could get out of it was a very quiet, weak, slightly distorted tone.
I tried all the channels and got the same sound at all levels.

It was working perfectly 2 weeks ago, then I returned back to work, where I leave it set up and it's not working.

I've tried various settings on the FX loop, and fiddled with the level knob on the back, as I know this can act as a sort of master volume in certain applications.

All the power valves are glowing as normal. I think perhaps it might be a preamp valve.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72905
    Try plugging the guitar into the FX return and see if you can get any sound. That will help narrow down where the problem might be.

Check your speaker cable too. If you don't have a spare one a guitar lead will do to test it for a short time at low-ish volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers ICBM - will give it a try.
  • @ICBM
    I tried the FX loop. As you may know the VH100R has a rather complicated array of FX loop options. I tried connecting my guitar to the return of each FX loop (Clean, Drive, plus the Insert on all 3 settings).
    I could hear the guitar coming out of the speakers, but only very very quietly and not distorted.

I tried the speaker cable - made no difference.

I've also noticed that the reverb does not seem to be audible when testing the amp. Not sure if this is significant.

What's strange is that when I left the amp worked fine, 2 weeks later it's not working. Do amps just mysteriously die like this?

Thanks for your help.

Valves can just die for no apparent reason, especially if the amp has been moved and bumped, or (very rarely) if stored somewhere extremely cold.

If the signal from the FX loops is very quiet it may just be that the loops are at a high signal level and the guitar is too low - that would probably also explain the lack of distortion. Or it could be related if both are caused by the fault - the most likely culprit would be the phase inverter valve, usually the one nearest the power valves. Try changing that first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I tried replacing the PI valve - no difference.
    Try all the other preamp valves one at a time, and if none of them fixes it then it's probably off to a tech - it could still be something simple, but you'll need to do some investigation inside. (Unless you're good at that yourself.)

• OK I'll do that.
    I'm definitely not doing anything technical myself as I haven't a clue!
    Thanks
  • @ICBM
    I tried each preamp valve. No change.
    It's gonna have to go away to be fixed.

If you know any techs in Hampshire please let me know. (I'm gonna look in the amp tech discussion now)
    Thanks ver much for helping and sorry to keep asking you specifically.
    No problem. You know one of my hobbies is trying to fix things by remote control, it keeps me amused :).

I don't know any good techs in Hampshire, sorry.

Hopefully it will be something fairly simple.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The amp is on the tech's bench.
    He had a quick look while I was there. 
    I really hope he can fix it. Not had much luck with amps TBH.
  • MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited January 2015
    @ICBM - this may interest you

All fixed now!
    Apparently some dodgy soldering was the problem:

Thanks to John at Sound Superior Guitar and Amplifier Repairs

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Was that like that from the factory?

• No, I bought the amp from a guy who apparently services amps and sells them on. 
    Another problem was that it was biassed way too hot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2224
    That looks... Err... Yeah.....
  • Unfortunately I didn't get an after shot to show how it looks now.