Great article (videos and soundcloud too) - Marc Guillermont, French king of fusion ?

ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
Lots of sound and video clips, a bit on recording, live kit, guitars etc

I found this when checking out  James Richmond's article on Irene Ketikidi, thanks James I enjoyed that too.

Not sure which section it belongs in as it covers quite a bit, so I thought I'd put it here for you all to enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    There is some great material and insight here, well worth a look if you haven't done so already.

I am sure if the title was Allan Holdsworth, it would have a ton of views by now, so why so few?

Do feel free to express any opinions on the article, Stega guitar, desert island companions, or whatever you see fit to.

Any discussion on the state of the music business, or on fusion, or why fusion seems under supported as a genre, or anything else stimulated by the article would be cool too...
    :)

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    What a list of musical influences  (from the article)
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Who are your musical influences and can you name five albums that you would recommend guitar players check out, to get an idea of the techniques and styles that inspired your playing style?

[Marc Guillermont]

Oh so many!! Let's see..
    Influence is not only about the instrument, as a composer I'm influenced by a lot of different people.
    Anyway here's a few ones in:

"Bill Bruford" Master Strokes (one of those I 1st discovered in my beginnings and that still does it for me todays..)
    "Camel" A Live Album
    "Yes" (all albums until "Drama" which I'm maybe one of the only to dig...)
    "Zappa" Everything but mainly "Live In NY", "Baby Snakes", and the enormous "One Size Fitz All")
    Allan Holdsworth (everything..)
    Scott Henderson/Tribal Tech (EVERYTHING)
    Wayne Krantz (The stuff he's doing in trio is unbelievable to me...)
    Vince Mendoza "Epiphany", Start Here, Instructions Inside, A Night On Earth.(A reference in composition to me)
    Bjork 
    David Bowie
    Radiohead
    Joni Mitchell (EVERYTHING!!!!)
    Alberto Iglesias "Los Amantes Pasageros" (Awesome film music composer)
    Jeff Beck
    Michael Brecker
    Michael Landau (...)
    Robert Plant
    And so many more...

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. I do like fusion guitar, but he's a bit too Holdsworth and angular for me. My favourites are John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola, maybe a bit of Scott Henderson's Tribal Tech stuff.

I saw this guy last night playing with Focus... amazing technical ability and as fluid as you like. This clip's a bit overblown, but shows what he's capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYxnUKZG1EA&feature=em-uploademail-new