Wallpaper stripping...

...with a steamer. That's what I'm doing today. 
And tomorrow. 
Bugger. :(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• At least you are not obliged to put up more wallpaper. Paint the walls instead.

I hate wallpaper
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Getting tiling done in the bathroom. 
    I also hate wallpaper :(
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edited January 2015
    I don't mind doing it ... until you realise the wallpaper was the only thing holding the plaster on the walls.  then it becomes less fun
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2015
    I was going to soak the walls wit hot water but decided to get a steamer instead. I can't 100% say it's easier as I never tried the soaking method... but it's not TOO difficult using the steamer.. VERY time-consuming, though. Had a chat about the extractor - I've asked for it to go to the outside through the wall rather than just venting into the loft, though supposedly this will create some noise if it's windy at night. Hey-ho.
  • WezV said:
    I don't mind doing it ... until you realise the wallpaper was the only thing holding the plaster on the walls.  then it becomes less fun
    2 houses ago I stripped all the walls to paint them. One wall got papered (and then painted over) for that very reason. Wouldn't have done it otherwise.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2015
    Well it's been 4 hours and I'd say 30% of it is done........ and it's a small bathroom!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    WezV said:

my father hired a steamer to redecorate my old bedroom about 10 years ago. I went round to have a look. My old bedroom wall was just breeze block. Nicely re plastered now though :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    I use a boom mic stand to hold the steamer to the wall, that way it can bubble happily away while I work on the previously-steamed bit.
    I even removed artex from two ceilings this way.
  • p90fool said:
    I use a boom mic stand to hold the steamer to the wall, that way it can bubble happily away while I work on the previously-steamed bit.
    I even removed artex from two ceilings this way.
    I didn't know you could get rid of artex like that. I never needed to soak wallpaper for more than a few seconds. How long does artex take?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12393
    I think it depends how well it was applied and how thick. I've had artex that wouldn't shift even with a hammer and chisel to get it started. Had to get it skimmed by a plasterer eventually.