Irrational 12 string want!

What's Hot
I hardly ever play acoustic, have more electric guitars than I need/have space for but can't seem to stop wanting a 12.

These Tanglewoods look good for the dosh:

http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/785843/tanglewood-tw28-12-cln

Talk me out of it!
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Once the 12 string thing get's hold of you, it's almost impossible to shake.

I have one, my Dad's old 1968 Yamaha which i currently can't play because it's waiting for it's inaugural trip to Feline to be recomissioned after many years of being sat in a wardrobe unplayed. I personally can't wait to play it.

If you can afford it, go for it man.

..........In the jingle jangle morning, i'll come following you. (but not in any creepy, wierd kind of way, despite how bad that sounds !)

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    You need a 12 if you're even remotely interested in anything jangly, from Leadbelly through Leo Kottke to Roger McGuinn and Tom Petty.

There's just no substitute - it's not only the sound, which you can get reasonably close to with carefully-chosen effects these days - they just make you play differently.

I have a Martin D12-35 which I bought in 1989 during a Leo Kottke fixation (who I will never be able to emulate no matter how long I play!) and it's the guitar I've owned the longest and which I will almost certainly never sell despite not playing it all that much. Sometimes I do wonder if I need to keep well over a grand tied up in something I use so rarely, then I take it out and after playing one chord the answer is always yes.

Oddly, I can still remember the first one I had before that which was quite a nice Japanese Aria - I'd quite like it back actually!

I've also owned several electric 12s including two Rickenbackers, but for some reason I've never quite bonded with them in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    There's a nice looking cort 12 for sale on here. There was also a ovation until I bought it to scratch the same itch
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    I played the new Taylor 150e yesterday (at a 'very' reasonable street price of £579). Really playable - sounded fantastic.

I really want one....
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I truly love 12 strings, I have a godin a12 which just blows me away with the tone and playability, they can really transform your old riffs you got bored of, into something new.
    I didn't find I needed to adjust my playing to get comfortable apart from not being able to do bends, plus I don't use a plec so I suppose that helped.
    Get one their great
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    First guitar I ever had was an Eko Ranger 12 string but strung with 6. Probably why I like wide fat necks.
    Of my 3 acoustics, it's the 12 string that gets the most use. It always inspires me to come up with stuff I don't routinely play and it sounds so rich and full. If it got stolen,I'd track down the thief and shove it up his arse then clean it off very carefully.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    I've never even held a 12 string let alone played one, but love the sound. I saw a pedal coming out at NAMM that makes things sound like a 12, but obviously other low mix pitch shifters can also do this.

I might have to try a 12 string at some point!
  • I have a Simon & Patrick Woodland 12.  It is nice but I don't use it right now, in fact I have barely played it in the past year.  

I recently loaned it to my g/f's brother as he's wanted one for a while but couldn't afford to buy one.  I have thought about selling it, but I'd never buy another one I don't think and well I bought new so relative to what I paid I'd get very little back...  Loaning it out seemed the better choice.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've got one up for sale in the classifieds if you're interested...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/30791/fs-trade-cort-12-string-acoustic-mr-710-12ns-reduced#latest

I'm in the Midlands too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Love the jingly-jangly, but space is at a premium.  I will have something 12 string again one day.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I got a Vintage Paul Brett Signature 12 string 9 months ago... it's rapidly displaced all my other guitars as my "go to" acoustic. 
    I've always loved the jangle of a 12, but all the others I've had have been HUGE- in body and neck, this is different, parlour sized body and a slimmer neck (for a 12 anyway!).
    The fact that it looks lovely doesn't hurt! 
    They can be had for £320 new with a fitted hard case.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've been looking at these because of their small size so it's good to hear they sound decent.
    I'll have to try one.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    I was watching a Sigma 12 string on Ebay, pretty close to me. As far as I know it didn`t sell and had a start price of £130, must admit was very very tempted.
    Like this one which is reduced and an absolute bloody bargain considering it's brand new ?

Stop thinking and buy it.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I need to have a butchers at YouTube and find out what all this jangly stuff is all about. This could be a mistake.

Gru said:
    I need to have a butchers at YouTube and find out what all this jangly stuff is all about. This could be a mistake.

Oh Dear..................

Get your wallet ready for it and be careful who you tell !
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    edited January 2015
    Cheers for the infi all.

@gru Here's Justin with a 12 string demo vid.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Iamnobody;476807" said:
    Cheers for the infi all.

@gru Here's Justin with a 12 string demo vos.

Now that's just out of order, I don't even need to go and look for a video :-)
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited January 2015
    John Butler- pickapart did it for me! (the solo version he did for total guitar).
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632

Nooooo make it stop, I thought my GAS was under control then this thread pops up.