Extending Wireless network and phone line

Can anyone help. I want to get a remote phone slave socket and broadband connection, beyond the range of the router.

I have run a Cat5e cable to extend the range of a the primary BT router/modem.

It runs from the Ethernet/LAN socket of the router, this then terminates into a repeater router.

The repeater router also serves as an ethernet switch and from it's Ethernet ports plugs into a homeplug type thing and a TV whilst also providing a second remote wireless internet connection.  At the moment I'm using an old BT router, but as advised, this does conflict occasionally with the primary router on the IP as the modem is still working and not disabled.  I'II have to get another repeater router with spare Ethernet sockets I guess for a tenner.

I will also run another Cat 5e cable from the master phone socket to a secondary socket less than 50 metres away for a remote phone.

Is this the only way to do it, or can I use the one Cat 5e (8 core) cable to serve both the phoneline and Ethernet (LAN) line?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    I believe it might be possible, I think the phone line only needs 2 cores, and Im sure the Ethernet doesn't need all 8.

Maybe Google this bit? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    ....not sure if this is answering your question, but we extended our wireless through the plug socket devices from Maplins. Very easy to install and work like a charm. Not sure about the telephone extension though.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ....not sure if this is answering your question, but we extended our wireless through the plug socket devices from Maplins. Very easy to install and work like a charm. Not sure about the telephone extension though.
    This .. I also have a plug solution that uses the wiring in my house. Alternatively buy a booster for your wireless router. I had one years ago that worked well in the days when the range of wireless was limited.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I just bought a Devolo 500 powerline system, with an extra couple of the wi-fi plugs. It's brilliant, and has solved the problem of shit wi-fi that I've had since day one. @Sambostar - IF that's the kind of thing you're after, I'd recommend it.

• spark240 said:
    I believe it might be possible, I think the phone line only needs 2 cores, and Im sure the Ethernet doesn't need all 8.

Maybe Google this bit? 
    I'm pretty damn sure that the crosstalk between them would result in dropped packets while the phone was active, and interference on the phone line.

I used Homeplug units for quite a while, until I finally got hacked off with the reduced bandwidth, latency and occasional dropped packets. Once I drilled a hole through the ceiling and dropped a Cat6 cable down there, my network access speeded up immensely. I'd originally blamed the crap transfer rates to the Pi downstairs on the Pi itself - installing the cable took it from about 1.2MB/s to 6MB/s.

No network medium beats a cable for performance and reliability, except perhaps fibre.
    <space for hire>
  • spark240 said:

Maybe Google this bit? 
    I'm pretty damn sure that the crosstalk between them would result in dropped packets while the phone was active, and interference on the phone line.

I used Homeplug units for quite a while, until I finally got hacked off with the reduced bandwidth, latency and occasional dropped packets. Once I drilled a hole through the ceiling and dropped a Cat6 cable down there, my network access speeded up immensely. I'd originally blamed the crap transfer rates to the Pi downstairs on the Pi itself - installing the cable took it from about 1.2MB/s to 6MB/s.

No network medium beats a cable for performance and reliability, except perhaps fibre.
    I use a homeplug, and on a separate floor in the house on a different circuit breaker and am will able to achieve 7.5MB/s.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    edited January 2015
    We use powerline. Previously I used several of the devices to distribute the internet around the house because our phone line is in my wife's office at an awkward place to cover the whole house with wifi.

However after some experimentation I changed to a simpler and more reliable system.

I connect to the internet now via a cheap non-wifi modem in my wife's office. Cost around £10. That sends the internet via powerline to a room in the middle of the house. There it connects to the wifi router.

This system works very well as it avoids having more than two powerline devices and complicating matters with some devices on wifi, others on ethernet, issues with subnets and communicating with each other. Everything in the house gets a good strong wifi signal from the middle of the building, and the powerline is reliable as it's only using two devices (the modem and the wifi router) that speak to each other.

I tested the speed at the modem itself, and via the router connected via powerline - no speed lost.