Acoustic strings and the curse of the internet.....

What's Hot
So , just taken delivery of my Taylor 414Ce, the strings seem old so I thought I'd consult the internet on best ones to go for... and wish I hadn't...

Any recommendations.. I know that they ship with either 11-52 or 12-53 so will stick with the gauge, do brands really matter? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    I've found (and the internet generally agrees with this) that brands do make a difference. Justin Sandercoe did a back to back (erm, to back) comparison of 3 types of string. It should be on his website, was interesting.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 208
    So what brand should I go for ? :-)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    the most reliable I've tried are Da'addaddadadadaddddarios. I've never tried the coated ones, but listening to the test, when I run out of what I've got, I'll be going for the coated variety.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Duratone are awesome long lasting.
    D;addarios are my goto now.
    Jon Pearse sound best of all by far, they only last long enough for 1 performance though.  At least for me.
    Definitely try the Fender Duratone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I like D'Addario EJs, and DR Rare. I can't stand any coated strings apart from DRs, and even they feel odd.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    edited January 2015
    I thought that Taylors were voiced to go with Elixirs?

here you go:
    http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-string-types-and-gauges

If they are, they still sound better with anything else!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cool I'll stick with dadario , I've never really paid too much attention but after trying so many acoustics last Monday it's made me look at acoustics in a completely different way to say electrics,
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Always been happy with D'Addarios.
    Occasionally tried Martins but prefer the D'Addarios.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    I use Elixirs (11`s) on my Taylor, mainly through the lazyness of not wanting to change them every couple of weeks.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069

ICBM said:

If they are, they still sound better with anything else!
    I much prefer Elixirs to uncoated
    they don't sound all metallic and brittle for the first few days like uncoated
    they carry on sounding the same, and last for ever
    Excellent when you have a (cough) few guitars
    also they squeak a little less
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 675
    They're not cheap, but I'm liking the Thomastik Plectrums so far.
    The problem is that they start off sounding tinny and thin, and feeling slippery as if they need wiping clean, they stay sounding tinny and thin and feeling slippery for a while, then the coating starts to fray at the frets and they end up sounding tinny and thin and feeling like they've got stuff caught on them, actually in a much shorter time than it takes for uncoated strings to develop indentations.

But I will give you that they stay sounding the same for quite a long time :).

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    VimFuego said:
    the most reliable I've tried are Da'addaddadadadaddddarios. I've never tried the coated ones, but listening to the test, when I run out of what I've got, I'll be going for the coated variety.
    I've got a set of coated D'adadadadadadadarios on my acoustic and they've rusted just as quickly as the uncoated set I had on before.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• WezVWezV Frets: 16915

I tried some Ernie Ball Aluminium bronze strings on my acoustic recently.  This is a guitar that was already quite dark

it really brought it to life.  A bit of extra zing to them, but its really quite balanced and they are more corrosion resistant  (something I have issues with  electric EB strings).  

They won't be for everyone, but I am liking them on this guitar

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Elixirs here, on Martin & Breedlove. D'Addarios if you can't get on with them.

I use D'Addario Gypsy on my maccaferri style guitar.

11s preferably 12s as an absolute minimum - anything lower will not be able to move the top enough and sound thin.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    ICBM said:
    The problem is that they start off sounding tinny and thin, and feeling slippery as if they need wiping clean, they stay sounding tinny and thin and feeling slippery for a while, then the coating starts to fray at the frets and they end up sounding tinny and thin and feeling like they've got stuff caught on them, actually in a much shorter time than it takes for uncoated strings to develop indentations.

But I will give you that they stay sounding the same for quite a long time :).

maybe the old Polyweb style .... but the coating on the Nanowebs is so fine I've never had any fraying or the problems you describe .

Fwiw  I use Elixir Nanowebs 11's on my Taylor 414ce .

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    edited January 2015
    Another Elixir user. They are what my Lowden came with, and they seem pretty good.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Well I went for a three pack of dadario 12-53, as usual. Same gauge as factory default so should be ok...
  • Yet another vote for Elixir Nanos here. 
    My only acoustic is a 12string… I chose based on longevity! (Thankfully I like the tone too).