Alter Bridge Fortress...

...came out today. Gotta say I'm blown away by it. Always been a fan, but think this could be their best work to date.
Really looking forward to the gig in a fortnight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've heard a lot of people saying that. I've got it, but I'm finding it really hard to listen to - it seems to be mastered insanely hot, and there's just this high-frequency fizz that I can't get past, so I can only listen to a couple of tracks at a time.

Frustrating, because I really wanted to like it :(
    <space for hire>
  • Can't say I've noticed that myself bud, but I've only listened on headphones on cycle to work. Feels like they really dug deep for the writing though. The vocals are massive and gotta love the acoustic opening to the first track. Will have a proper listen with the Bose headphones later and see if I can hear what you mean.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    I've heard a lot of people saying that. I've got it, but I'm finding it really hard to listen to - it seems to be mastered insanely hot, and there's just this high-frequency fizz that I can't get past, so I can only listen to a couple of tracks at a time.

Frustrating, because I really wanted to like it :(
    @digitalscream

That will be Ye Olde Loudness War chestnut which has ruined many a potentially decent album. Bloody frustrating isn't it.

• Aye. Queensryche's new album had the same problem, but far worse - to the point where the intros of a lot of the songs were audibly clipping.

I have no clue who actually believes it's a good idea to take things that far on a rock record.
    <space for hire>
  • When an album is outed the finger pointing begins for artist, mix engineer to mastering engineer. Occasionally the management have been blamed.

The Metallica Death Magnetic carry on was blamed on the mastering dude, who in turn said it was too hot when it reached him.

Stoopid feckers.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399

...came out today. Gotta say I'm blown away by it. Always been a fan, but think this could be their best work to date.
    Really looking forward to the gig in a fortnight.

I concur, and got it via iTunes - so any hot sound would've been killed by that process ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited September 2013
    Jalapeno;45929" said:
    geepers0677 said:

...came out today. Gotta say I'm blown away by it. Always been a fan, but think this could be their best work to date.Really looking forward to the gig in a fortnight.
    I concur, and got it via iTunes - so any hot sound would've been killed by that process ;)
    iTunes here too

• Interesting... I got it on CD and haven't noticed any problems with it. 

I like the album, bar one track (Lover). I just can't get into that and apparently it's gonna be the next single?! Weird song choice in my opinion.
  • As a huge AB fan, I have to say I like it, but still prefer ABIII and One Day Remains. I like it more after hearing some of the songs live when they played Cardiff, but at the moment it's a grower rather than an instant favourite.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2366
    Rush's 'comeback' CD Vapor Trails was totally ruined by an over loud mastering job upon it's original release, but it was re-released a few weeks back totally redone and sounds so much better for it.  The songs really breath now and make me finally want to listen to a decent record I'd long since discarded.