Carlsbro CS60TC Head (Late 60s / Early 70s?)

LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
Afternoon everyone!

I am looking to move on my Carlsbro CS60TC amp head that I've owned for a couple of years.
The amp came to me in a part ex deal, but I can't really remember how much the other fella valued it at.

As far as I know, it's an original late 60s / early 70s model.
It has multi coloured "smartie" knobs on the front. Not sure if these are original or not.

The amp is in really good condition for its age - minimal wear and tear, no scuffs etc.
It's also had a full service and revalve towards the end of last year. All work done by Roland Lumby at The Amp Clinic.

It's loud as hell.
Loads of headroom, and a stunning clean tone.
However, I find myself using my JCM800 combo most of the time for gigs & rehearsal, as it's easier (IMO) than carrying a head and cab around, and the crunchier tone suits my band a bit more.

Could anyone advise what a realistic asking price for an amp like this would be..?
I'm guessing it won't be worth a fortune, and I could really do with bringing some money back in after my recent GAS antics.
Shame to see a great vintage amp like this just sitting around.

I also have a homemade 2x12 cab (fitted with Peavey ValveKing speakers I think, not made by me) that sounds really nice with the amp.
I'd probably just chuck this in free of charge as it'd be worth next to nowt on its own.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
(Pics to follow later on..)

Cheers in advance,
Lew
Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    edited January 2015
    If its the guitar amp, not the multichannel PA amp, its worth a little bit more - but probably not that much more than £200-£250 for the head, from what I've seen. There's been a few on ebay in recent times and those that have sold have been around that money - there is a guy that's been trying to sell one for a while for £395... and no success.

They are great amps, IMHO and I'd have another like a shot but I've just blown my GAS fund on something else and thanks to impending redundancy... that situation isn't going to get better for a while... :-(

Good luck with the sale
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If it's anything like the Carlsbro 50 Top of a similar vintage that I owned then I'd agree on that price estimate. Bloody lovely things though. I had smartie knobs on mine too! Wish I could take it off you, good luck with the sale!
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I picked up an early 70's PA version for £150 about 18 months ago locally on gumtree. On getting it home and opening it up it had its original Mullard 12AX7's and a pair of Siemens badged RFT EL34's. All tested like new. So at market rate, I paid for the valves and got the amp for free!

Great amp, rich cleans with lots of headroom, takes pedals very well. Plan to mod it with a post phase
    inverter loop.
  • I had a 50 Top too and it sounded ace, I only sold as I had a Bassman too and I rarely used either so 1 had to go. I know 50 Tops go for about 200 to 300.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544

If anyone's interested, I've stuck this up for sale HERE in the Classified section with a 2x12 cab.

Bit of a bargain if I may say so myself... :)

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited February 2015
    Sold mine here last year for £120 odd? Can't remember exactly. The pa version.

Dunno if this clip I did will help or hinder your sale hah

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Yes you did Lew, I bought it off of you ;)  sounded v v nice indeed, moved it on to buy Studio gear,,,,,,,always something ;)

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Carlsbro kit is underrated. The best clean sound I ever got was from a Carlsbro '80s amp. Should have hung onto it.
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Massively underrated @mellowsun.

I'll echo what you said - the cleans I got from this amp are the best I've ever experienced.
    Easily beat some of the nice Fender amps I've owned in the past (Pro Reverb, Bandmaster).
    And it has a scary amount of clean headroom!

Now sold to a lovely fella on eBay, meeting up with him on Sunday.
    So no longer available, if anyone was interested :)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Brill :-)