Audiophiles - Review of different hard drives affecting the sound...

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    I'm a little surprised that you guys reacted as you did when similarities in audio and guitars are pointed out. By attacking me personally @ICBM, you lost points in the debate. I am an audiophile and consider myself a guitar player. Others may disagree. So I can see the issue from both sides. And enjoy the jokes that each side makes of the other. At least debating this topic is more fun than watching Ipswich Town -v- Southampton.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26710
    edited January 2015
    Rocker said:
    I'm a little surprised that you guys reacted as you did when similarities in audio and guitars are pointed out. By attacking me personally @ICBM, you lost points in the debate. I am an audiophile and consider myself a guitar player. Others may disagree. So I can see the issue from both sides. And enjoy the jokes that each side makes of the other. At least debating this topic is more fun than watching Ipswich Town -v- Southampton.....
    Gawd...no, there are massive differences between the examples you cited.. They've all been pointed out. Can you not see that?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72520
    Rocker said:
    I did not attack you personally, I pointed out a problem you have with deliberately twisting some of the things I have said in the past in order to imply that I agree with some things you believe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    the article is based on pseudo science

no analysis of any possible differences would be meaningful without a full assessment of the encoding algortihms and file formats, and an explaination of how different reliable digital storage mechanisms could possibly vary the contents of the digital files delivered to the DAC, with all the error correction and detection methods built into modern kit

Guitars are made of vibrating parts and electromagnetic pickups, and have thousands of nuances to vary. A digital file can either be retrieved intact or not, this technology flies planes and drives cars, it's not made using 1950s-style springs and bits of wire and magnets.

If the article is real, it's another example of the bullshit "i'm the high priest, listen to me" audiophile crap that has been spun since I was a kid to achieve unearned gravitas and to make money from the gullible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Rocker said:
    It is important to point out the fact that I am not defending the claims made by the writer of the review of the hard drives. But I am pointing out that guitarists are quick to highlight the apparent foolishness of audiophiles yet are themselves guilty of the very same foolishness re: guitars, guitar parts, strings etc. The fact that the audiophiles so called 'foolishness' costs more than the guitar equivalent is usually the main thrust of the argument. And is the punch line in the joke. Remember the joke works both ways. And remember too that the general public see guitar players on stage. Most of them do not know the difference between lead guitar, bass guitar or rhythm guitar. Or that you can play the same chords on an acoustic guitar. They are guitars. Full stop. As I wrote earlier: people in glasshouses............
    A difference in guitar parts can logically make a difference to the sound a guitar makes. A difference in hard drives is akin to a difference in the paper that the sheet music the guitarist is using is written on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    I did not attack you personally, I pointed out a problem you have with deliberately twisting some of the things I have said in the past in order to imply that I agree with some things you believe.
    I see no attack by @ICBM on you @Rocker, looks like you read what you want to read, as well as hearing what you want to hear...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2015
    Last year I started listening to 24/192 versions of my favourite albums.
    Shortly after buying a usb DAC for my laptop I started to notice comments on forums saying that the digital files must be on the main hard drive - not on a usb hard drive - because the second usb port may be on the same circuit as the usb DAC.
    I have so far ignored this....

My advice is: Just relax and listen.
    If you discover that you are now listening to the whole album, and that when it finishes you listen to another recording, and you again listen to the  whole freaking  album, and that this is something that you have not experienced for 20 years, then I am going to conclude that you have done something right - whatever that something is.

Just keep an open mind.
    Is Neil Young crazy? Possibly
    Is Neil young right? Possibly

:)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rocker said:
    It is important to point out the fact that I am not defending the claims made by the writer of the review of the hard drives. But I am pointing out that guitarists are quick to highlight the apparent foolishness of audiophiles yet are themselves guilty of the very same foolishness re: guitars, guitar parts, strings etc. The fact that the audiophiles so called 'foolishness' costs more than the guitar equivalent is usually the main thrust of the argument. And is the punch line in the joke. Remember the joke works both ways. And remember too that the general public see guitar players on stage. Most of them do not know the difference between lead guitar, bass guitar or rhythm guitar. Or that you can play the same chords on an acoustic guitar. They are guitars. Full stop. As I wrote earlier: people in glasshouses............
    Hang on...

Are you saying that strings do not make a difference to the final tone?
  • Skipped said:
    Shortly after buying a usb DAC for my laptop I started to notice comments on forums saying that the digital files must be on the main hard drive - not on a usb hard drive - because the second usb port may be on the same circuit as the usb DAC.

Lol. The fact is the DAC will have a read a head buffer so unless the USB is soooooo saturated that the DAC can't get the info quick enough there will be zero difference, even USB 1 would be able to keep up with reading music from a USB stick and writing to a USB DAC.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    Skipped said:

Lol. The fact is the DAC will have a read a head buffer so unless the USB is soooooo saturated that the DAC can't get the info quick enough there will be zero difference, even USB 1 would be able to keep up with reading music from a USB stick and writing to a USB DAC.

I was playing mp3 files straight from floppy disks in the early 90s, (when hard disks were smaller than today's memory sticks)

Is anyone really thinking that modern computers have trouble handling an mp3?
    you can record many tracks of WAVs in parallel to a normal PC's hard disk now
  • Skipped said:

Actually in that particular case you might imagine that if either device was bus powered then power variation on the rails might introduce cross talk on the analogue signal in connected devices. Suspect it wouldn't be an issue for self powered devices though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Skipped said:

From a noise point of view though, if they're sharing a power supply/ground, then a bad USB hard drive/DAC could introduce noise into the audio, so there's actually a mechanism for explaining that.

If they're saying that the USB isn't fast enough/consistent enough to get the audio off 'smoothly' then agree it's nuts.
  • The thing is any noise at the digital stage will not make a difference, error correction will kick in. Only noise introduced at the analog stage will make any difference. I have about 10 different USB devices hanging off my pic from printers to backup disks to wifi and blutooth devices. Now my Avid MBox 2 has to this day (bus powered) never experienced any noise/hum/audio degradation.
    Guys, I am not saying anything. Only pointing out the fact that we guitarists are as guilty as audiophiles in finding differences or improvements in components or peripheral devices. As to the OP quote, none of us can agree or disagree with him on his test conclusions. Unless we carried out the same tests ourselves. Logic suggests there should be no difference. Logic is probably right but there is a small percentage chance that there is a difference. Without testing the drives ourselves, the best we can accurately state is that there are probably no differences.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24525
    Rocker;479748" said:
    Guys, I am not saying anything. Only pointing out the fact that we guitarists are as guilty as audiophiles in finding differences or improvements in components or peripheral devices.

As to the OP quote, none of us can agree or disagree with him on his test conclusions. Unless we carried out the same tests ourselves. Logic suggests there should be no difference. Logic is probably right but there is a small percentage chance that there is a difference. Without testing the drives ourselves, the best we can accurately state is that there are probably no differences.
    Irony overload in 5, 4, 3,.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10445
    Skipped said:

I was playing mp3 files straight from floppy disks in the early 90s, (when hard disks were smaller than today's memory sticks)

A floppy drive was 1.4Mb so that would have been very low bit rate MP3's you listened to ... maybe you meant a superdisk which was about 120mb I think ....
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited January 2015
    Rocker said:
    ... Unless we carried out the same tests ourselves. Logic suggests there should be no difference. Logic is probably right but there is a small percentage chance that there is a difference. ...
    This is absolutely right. Newton may have seen an apple fall, and there may be all the evidence in the world for some form of gravity, but there is a small percentage chance that this is wrong, and if we focus enough on this small percentage chance, we can roll back centuries of advances in human knowledge, and believe that Russ Andrews is right, and that whatever solid state device Rocker is using will have an effect on the sound that I get from my music player. That's progress, folks.
    What else do I need to test for myself @Rocker?

I've never eaten rat poison, so maybe it's fine for me?

I've never driven a Ferrari, so maybe my Focus is actually quicker?

I've never won the lottery, so maybe no one does?

Or perhaps I could use common sense, and the shared knowledge humanity has built up over millenia?
  • Danny1969;479802" said:
    ToneControl said:

Axe_meister said:

Skipped said:

A floppy drive was 1.4Mb so that would have been very low bit rate MP3's you listened to ... maybe you meant a superdisk which was about 120mb I think ....
    Pkzip can disk span so you can get that proper old school warmth
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    The trashcan is the best place to store your MP3s on your computer. Calm down guys. It is hard to type when laughing so much......

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum