new zx spectrum

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
Just seen the 80's classic is getting a new release

bbc link

I'd have been more interested if it had the full keyboard and that could be a marketing mistake but it's an interesting idea that should sell a few units.

I wasn't allowed one as a kid - I had texas instruments ti99/4a as my father insisted my coding skills would be better on a 16bit machine that had more instant access to using assembler.   Just what everty 12 year old wants to hear when your mates are playing the cool games.
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019

How can you write BASIC programs on that monstrosity?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its clearly just for playing games.  Apparently comes pre loaded with a ton of the classics.

I can't find a link to the sellers.

I started with a ZX81 back in 82 and progressed to a specie.  I suspect theres some rose tinted nostalgia here but some of the gameplay was highly addictive.

• Modern kids won't know the joy of spending hours typing in programs from a magazine, then debugging them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I had one of these-with the cassette player games-It got so knackered that for certain games you had to set the volume in the perfect spot then leave the room for 15 minutes, hoping that when you returned the game was loaded-invariably not! I think Commando and the Dizzy series got the most play out of us.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Does anybody remember the programme in the C64 manual that made a hot air ballon cross the screen diagonally over and over again?

• Does anybody remember the programme in the C64 manual that made a hot air ballon cross the screen diagonally over and over again?
    1 REM UP, UP, AND AWAY!
    5 PRINT n{CLR/HOME}n
    10 '1=53248 : REM START OF DISPLAY CHIP
    11 POKE '1+21,4 : REM ENABLE SPRITE 2
    12 POKE 2042,13 : REM SPRITE 2 DATA FROM 13TH BLK
    20 FOR N = 0 TO 62: READ Q : POKE 832+N,Q: NEXT
    30 FOR X = 0 TO 200 ~ GETSITSINfO.fROMDATA"
    40 POKE V+4,X: REM UPDATE X COORDINATES
    50 POKE V+5,X: REM UPDATE Y COORDINATES
    60 NEXT X
    70 GOTO ~ INfO. READ IN fROM Q" 200 DATA 0,127,0,1,255,192,3,255,224,3,231,224
    210 DATA 7,217,240,7,223,240,7,217,240,3,231,224
    220 DATA 3,255,224,3,255,224,2,255,160,1,127,64
    230 DATA 1,62,64,0,156,128,0,156,128,0,73,0,0,73,0
    240 DATA 0,62,0,0,62,0,0,62,0,

I was only telling the kids the other day of the joys of typing in a game from a magazine, Oric Basic was by far my fave as was the Oric keyboard
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
     my father insisted my coding skills would be better on a 16bit machine that had more instant access to using assembler.
    He was probably right. There were a lot of people who thought these toys made them into "programmers".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    John_P said:
     my father insisted my coding skills would be better on a 16bit machine that had more instant access to using assembler.
    He was probably right. There were a lot of people who thought these toys made them into "programmers".
    Eventually they did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935

Did anyone play how to be a complete bastard? It was free with my Sinclair. Amazing.

Most of the old 8 bit games can be played through your browser here https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

Goodbye Thursday work.

• Drew_fx said:
    John_P said:
    Eventually they did.
    They might have ended up writing bloatware in C++ or Java, thus thinking they are "programmers"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    John_P said:
    heh, there's plenty of people I work with who cut their teeth on Spectrums, some of them aren't too shoddy in the programming dept. Some of them can even do Assembler at a push ;)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    John_P said:
    heh, there's plenty of people I work with who cut their teeth on Spectrums, some of them aren't too shoddy in the programming dept. Some of them can even do Assembler at a push ;)
    OK good. For each of them, how many are there of the other kind? Or those who failed at it and became Recruitment Consultants?
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    FX_Munkee said:
    John_P said:
    OK good. For each of them, how many are there of the other kind? Or those who failed at it and became Recruitment Consultants?
    Let me consult my Deity level 3 statistics book....
    hmmm doesn't seem to have those figures?
    What I do know is that (from experience) people who started coding in the 8 bit era (be it on 8 or 16 bit hardware) tend to be a whole lot better at "close to the metal" work. If you look at our Render team or Low Level Tech team there's nobody under the age of 35, most of them are 40+.
    Kids (with Comp Sci degrees) today eh?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Drew_fx said:
    John_P said:
    Eventually they did.
    They might have ended up writing bloatware in C++ or Java, thus thinking they are "programmers"
    ohhhhh I know guys like you. "You're only a programmer if..." types. :P
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    gusman2x said:

Did anyone play how to be a complete bastard? It was free with my Sinclair. Amazing.

Most of the old 8 bit games can be played through your browser here https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

Goodbye Thursday work.

yup, enjoyed that a lot, and Skool Daze.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FX_Munkee said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    John_P said:
    Let me consult my Deity level 3 statistics book....
    hmmm doesn't seem to have those figures?
    What I do know is that (from experience) people who started coding in the 8 bit era (be it on 8 or 16 bit hardware) tend to be a whole lot better at "close to the metal" work. If you look at our Render team or Low Level Tech team there's nobody under the age of 35, most of them are 40+.
    Kids (with Comp Sci degrees) today eh?
    Fair comment. I'm sure those who wrote assembler ('cos there wasn't anything else) will be better at bit twiddling. The C++/Java guys here can't even visualise a bit pattern from a hex number. I guess I was commenting about the people who wrote spaghetti BASIC and couldn't design a software solution to a tricky problem without using umpteen flags each stored in a 32 bit variable and a shedload of GOTOs.
    My contribution to this thread is:

• lloyd said:

??

f 2 8 9 4 e 3 c a 8 5 and 2 spare bits left over (01) reading from left to right. Or if you group the bits from right to left you get

(3) c a 2 5 3 8 f 2 a 1 5 ??

49 20 74 68 69 6e 6b 20 79 6f 75 20 64 6f 6e 27
    74 20 6b 6e 6f 77 20 77 68 61 74 20 79 6f 75 20
    61 72 65 20 73 61 79 69 6e 67 21

lloyd said:

??

f 2 8 9 4 e 3 c a 8 5 and 2 spare bits left over (01) reading from left to right. Or if you group the bits from right to left you get

(3) c a 2 5 3 8 f 2 a 1 5 ??

49 20 74 68 69 6e 6b 20 79 6f 75 20 64 6f 6e 27
    74 20 6b 6e 6f 77 20 77 68 61 74 20 79 6f 75 20
    61 72 65 20 73 61 79 69 6e 67 21

• Boxes of punch cards is where it's at if you're really hardcore!

Anything more modern is just lazy! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...