New Randall DOOM amp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    It looks like a Klipp with the built in fuzz circuit, presumably a pair of KT88's putting out 88 watts (pretty nominally I should think, a pair of KT88's is usually rated at 100 watts)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    Hopefully more reliable than a Klipp or a Matamp?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2469
    I wouldn't describe a Matamp as "unreliable".
    "Built like a tank" would spring to mind more..
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Fall apart when you turn the volume up is what comes to mind.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    edited January 2015
    Sassafras said:
    ^There's the problem,I haven't tried any expensive high gain amps so I can only go by the amps I have used which have all been non master volumes. I'm pretty much reliant on pedals for high gain.
    Even the cheaper high gain tube amps (like Jet City) are pretty good. Maybe that slightly negates what I said above about substitutes :)) But you know what I mean. :)) My main point was that I agree that having the fuzz built-in might not be the best plan (though I suppose if that's the only effect you use, it'd save the need for a pedalboard, which might be handy) if you prefer a different fuzz, but having the distortion built-in in a high gain tube amp's preamp is different, since (by and large anyway) you can't really get the same thing out of pedals.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Reverend said:
    Fall apart when you turn the volume up is what comes to mind.
    shit, dont say that...i have one being made!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    It comes down to what sounds I need and what works for me. Since I don't often use fuzz it wouldn't make much sense to have an amp that did that really well but was possibly not what I like for clean sounds.
    Anyway,none of that matters any more because I've given up gigging and just use very low wattage amps for the odd bit of recording I still do.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207

but no where in that video does the guy play anything that resembles doom...and the EQ'ing is way too bright...

thats a horrible demo for something thats suppose to do one thing only...and they don't demonstrate that one thing!

• samzadgan said:

but no where in that video does the guy play anything that resembles doom...and the EQ'ing is way too bright...

thats a horrible demo for something thats suppose to do one thing only...and they don't demonstrate that one thing!

True.  Not great.

But for me, those tones sound really quite good! I'm still not convinced by the included fuzz circuit - but you don't need to use it and if it just adds a fuzz to the front end *anyway* you can just use that and run a fuzz into it. 

I wonder what the circuit is based on?
    Also, alot of doom guys do want a clean sound too...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    The funniest thing about the video is the blonde gnome nodding his head and grinning like an arse in the background.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    samzadgan;499090" said:
    Also, alot of doom guys do want a clean sound too...
    Not me.