coffee peeps, bean to cup machines

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    camf said:
    I love coffee... freshly roasted beans, Aeropress and a hand grinder. Living in the middle of Edinburgh I'm really lucky to be able to get beans from a few different roasters but the one in Stockbridge is my favourite.

It's maybe a bit wanky, but don't care... a great cup of coffee is worth spending a few quid on. And it's much better for me than the thousands of pounds I used to waste on tobacco (and still waste on alcohol... that's not a waste though, is it?) :)

Everybody should have an Aeropress, with fresh beans they are a really inexpensive way to great coffee, once you get your method perfected.  Still much cheaper and better than coffee chain coffee.

Would like a bean-to-cup as well however, using an Aeropress for more than yourself is a pita.

what's the advantage of an aeropress over a cafetière?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    the black Delonghi is £220 today on Amazon. Ive gone for it. Any bean recommendations?
  • nanoman said:
    Any bean recommendations?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I've now got used to coffee from a Moka, problem is anything else I drink tastes fekking awful. I stopped at a butty bar yesterday and made the mistake of having roadside coffee, it would have been put to better use as drain unblocker.
    Im becoming a bit of a snob.

"Oh you've only got instant? I'll just have water please. Does my man-bun look ok?"
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    I can still deal with instant if it's strong and sweet. It's filter coffee that gets my goat.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I can still deal with instant if it's strong and sweet. It's filter coffee that gets my goat.
    I stopped having sugar in tea and coffee a few months ago and it was a bit of a struggle to enjoy it without to be honest

• SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    I'd like to be able to drink coffee without sugar in it.

But not enough to actually do it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I don't mind some of the instant espresso's, in between the real coffees.
    I have drunk it black and strong without sugar for about 20 years

Sugar ruins coffee. Don't mind a flavoured syrup in a milky coffee on the odd occasion, but the wife made me one last week and I wasn't expecting any sweetness, nearly made me gag.

I have taken to having my real coffee with a tiny splash of milk these days.... but instant is always black with no sugar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I don't like sugar in coffee ( and flavoured syrups yuk yuk yuk) but I like something sweet with a cup of coffee, even a bit of jam on toast. Mmm, jammy toast.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I use a moka pot, aeropress and clever dripper, depending on what want. I grind my own beans the old fashioned way. Can't afford a bean to cup machine! Getting an aeropress and moka pot has saved me money though, no more temptation from nespresso (having tried it I was disappointed but convenience nearly won out) or costabucks, even though the coffee is more expensive. I get my beans from rave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

Sorry, missed this earlier. The main advantage to me is it tastes miles better, but that could be due to me using cafetière's incorrectly (although I have tried every variation possible). Two things which I think could make the Aeropress better are the paper filters and the pressure. The paper means the coffee is filtered much finer and you don't get the earthy, gritty sediments you can get with a normal plunger. 2nd is that as the paper filter is much finer than the gauze it resists the coffee and water going through it, so you can apply much more pressure to the coffee - not nearly as much as an espresso machine, but pressure none-the-less which will extract more oils out of the coffee than a cafetière. Possibly ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestom;1098003" said:

Sorry, missed this earlier. The main advantage to me is it tastes miles better, but that could be due to me using cafetière's incorrectly (although I have tried every variation possible). Two things which I think could make the Aeropress better are the paper filters and the pressure. The paper means the coffee is filtered much finer and you don't get the earthy, gritty sediments you can get with a normal plunger. 2nd is that as the paper filter is much finer than the gauze it resists the coffee and water going through it, so you can apply much more pressure to the coffee - not nearly as much as an espresso machine, but pressure none-the-less which will extract more oils out of the coffee than a cafetière. Possibly ;)
    The aeropress combines immersion brewing (a la cafetiere) with single pass drip brewing (ie hario v60). It means a big flavour with good extraction, but a very clean cup. It's great for fruity coffees.

You can achieve similar results by French pressing, then filtering the cup again. Lot of effort though...

I use my aeropress with paper filters for fruity, fresh and zesty coffees and with a metal filter for chocolatey or heavier, roastier blends. Does great for both.
    The moka makes nice coffee but I think I'm buying an aeropress as the sediment from the moka is getting a bit annoying

• What about them posh 'mukka' mokas that do capachino (sp?) too as well as espresso (sp?) ? Anybody tried one?

Never seen those before. A quick google suggests it uses the steamy coffee to also steam/froth the milk. I image it'd make a latte rather than proper thick-foamed cappuccino...

Well it's better latte than never.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    For anyone who wants to try moving "up" from cafetierre but can't be arsed with "faff" I'd recommend a Clever Coffee Dripper:

Its basically a cross between a cafetierre and a filter and its bloody great.

I also have a Moka, Bodum Pebo (its a vacuum maker: its awesome), a Cezve, Cafetierres and some other things I've forgotten about. The CCD is my go-to everyday maker with the Moka and the Pebo used when I have a bit more time. 
    Latest addition to my poncy man bun coffee setup is the Hario Mini Mill grinder. I tried a few different suppliers for Aeropress ground beans and ended up with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. They ranged from coarse ground pepper size to virtually a powder, the powder one was just awful, it had a burnt taste and just pushed me into looking for a grinder. So, back to my original supplier for whole beans and the Hario (£25). Money well spent even though it takes a bit longer to get a cup, but I get a better cup for the effort.

I now have two hobbies that take 2 minutes and involve vigorous use of my right arm......