Freshman guitars - thoughts? particularly their higher end stuff

paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
edited January 2015 in Acoustics
Not really heard of Freshman as its years since I bought my acoustic and their fairly new to the market - though I was aware of them at the entry level of the market.  

Following my accident, Ive been looking at suitable guitars, in the £1k range.  My budget may be as low as £800 or as high as £1500.  Top of my wish list "was" a Taylor 312 (after trying many), but thats near the top end.  Lower down the 214 (as they dont do a 212 :( ) or a Faith Venus Hi Gloss were the front runners.  Both would be compromises tonally though/

I then stumbled on a used Freshman 500 series (FA500GA).  Its had electrics fitted - but to a high level.  Plays nicely and sounds good to my ears - though I didnt try it next to anything else (different shop with mostly cheap guitars).  This is being sold on commission.

I did a little research and they seem to be decent in their price range - with is circa £1300 new (without the electrics).  Just wondered what the consensus of this noble body of people was towards the brand in general - and the higher end models in particular.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably best to go with the better known brand, you never know when you might want to sell it again. Have you had a look at what second hand Taylors are available ? I think good makes of acoustics sound better when they are older.
  • Used 3 series Taylors seem to for the the £1k - which is reasonable, but still more than Im going to have I think.  The 2 series and the Faiths just didnt really do it for me.  Its possible that I want more than I can afford, BUT the Freshman did sound/feel as good as the 3 series to my ears/hands - and being used already Id not take too much of a hit.

I had my last acoustic 12 years - and only buying again as Ive damaged it.  If I hadnt I wouldnt be looking.

Also thinking the Stonebridge offerings in the sub £1k mark might be worth a go IF I can find some local enough to try.

• grammargrammar Frets: 27
    I've got a deal with Freshman, they're great guitars and you get a lot for your money. I've got a Taylor 3 series and a much cheaper Freshman Apollo, the Apollo is easier to play! 

Mansons had an ex display FA500GA for £550. If you find one for that price I don't think you can go far wrong.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited January 2015
    I have found one with a Shadow prefix Pizo system fitted, for £800.  How does that sound?  Id rather get something better electrically fitted on a £550 example mind - but they dont come up that often.