Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tipping

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    chillidoggy;481036" said:
    It's worse in the US, particularly in the restaurants, they expect to be tipped a minimum of 15-20%. No-ome has ever given me a tip for doing whatever job I've been paid to do, but I think the restaurateurs should pay staff appropriately, stick their prices up a little, and then we don't have to face the embarrassment at bill time.
    Some places in the US don't pay anything....so they need the tips!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's worse in the US, particularly in the restaurants, they expect to be tipped a minimum of 15-20%. No-ome has ever given me a tip for doing whatever job I've been paid to do, but I think the restaurateurs should pay staff appropriately, stick their prices up a little, and then we don't have to face the embarrassment at bill time.
    From what I understand, the pricing of the restaurant industry in the States relies on low advertised price, low server wage, topped up by tips.
  • ROOG said:

I've noticed tits and a low cut top work at least equally as well also.
    I must try this next time.
    It helps if you wax first.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't understand tipping at all. I feel obligated to to it, which makes me want to do it even less. But I don't want to be a dick. Last time I used the barbers the two customers before me left a tip so I felt I had to, the bastards.
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I only tip in exceptional circumstances.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    An interesing one- I went to a resturant over Xmas and had the worst possible service imaginable. When the bill game, I paid cash and I removed the '12.5% discretionary' service charge explaining the service had been lamentable.

The manager was called. I was threatened with the Police being called unless I paid it, which I flatly refused to do. I even googled the definition of discretionary but still they didn't get it and a full out argument ensued.

I didn't pay it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    I only tip in exceptional circumstances.

Like this you mean?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/8e/IJTD-WaiterGuna.jpg/600px-IJTD-WaiterGuna.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I was paying for a meal for 20 on the company card last week.   We do have some rules about acceptable tipping  but i couldn't remember what they were and everyone was getting a free meal so I didn't feel the need to pay for the tip too.   I meant to ask them if they would they mind chucking some change in for the tip, but they had started to do a runner by the time I was back from paying.

So no tip for the restaurant, which i felt oddly bad about... but they had just had £400+ from us, and they didn't give us discount even though we supply them,  so why do I feel bad about it?   I would have insisted on everyone paying a tip if they had given us the discount  ;)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited January 2015
    Tbh I only tip if the service is truly outstanding, they work in a restaurant.... Why should they have more cash from me when a helpful shop assistant in asda does not.

Any automatic discretionary tip is always removed when I pay.
    At the end of the day a meal for me 2 kids and the missus is never cheap so I'm not going to throw money at someone who is doing a job they're already being paid for. I dont get a tip for saving lives every day so they ain't getting a tip for delivering me food!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Whilst on holiday in Florida last year, I notice signs at the checkout in Publix supermarket telling you not to tip the staff.

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I usually write tips on napkins and leave them behind, such as "have a shave" or "pull your trousers up".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    when I worked in restaurants I always spat in the food of people who didn't leave a tip. Of course, the flaw in this policy is that you don't know if they're gonna leave a tip or not till after they've eaten. So I would spit in everyone's food, that way I would ensure I would catch any non tippers. It caught out a surprisingly high number.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited January 2015
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback