Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Breaking in speakers....

What's Hot
.....what's the best way to break in brand new speakers?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Turn the amp up and play them for a bit :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8085
    A lot of USA west coast guys use the following 'speedy' method.  They mix a 50/50 solution of purified water and Febreze.  They think spray a fine mist of the solution on the speaker.  They don't saturate the speaker, just a light uniform misting.   They then allow it to dry thoroughly, then leave the amp in a basement (speaker side down to the floor) with an ipod plugged in, playing a mixture of rock, pop and dance music for the entire weekend - with as much volume as you can get away with. 

At the end of a weekend of playing, the speakers should be nicely broken in.

M.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• ICBM said:
    Turn the amp up and play them for a bit :).
    I would add that I find in the long term it's less hassle to break speakers in at a friends house.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1470
    edited January 2015
    Take amp to rehearsal space, put in room next door, play something on a looper pedal and bugger off for a few hours. Thats what I do haha.

Doesn't work with creambacks though unfortunately ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9745
    edited January 2015
    photek said:
    Take amp to rehearsal space, put in room next door, play something on a looper pedal and bugger off for a few hours. Thats what I do haha.

Leave your new acoustic guitar leaning against it, to break that in as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Doesn't work with creambacks in what way?
    danban said:
    Doesn't work with creambacks in what way?
    I missed off the winking smiley. Simon has just got a new amp with a pair of creambacks.
  • Does "breaking in" speakers actually make any difference?
    Does "breaking in" speakers actually make any difference?
    Yes. Quite easily provable.

Although it does vary a lot between different speakers - some need it much more than others. It seems to depend mostly on the stiffness of the edge surround and whether it's doped. V30s are a good example of ones that show very noticeable break-in, and they have a heavily doped surround.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Does "breaking in" speakers actually make any difference?
    Listen for yourself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS_k4niVMs
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The speaker will break in naturally if you rehearse regularly at gig volumes, however if it's for home playing then you can put it face down on the floor, pack it well with a few duvets, turn up the volume and play on the clean channel with the neck pickup for about 30 mins. Play mostly open chords interspersed with some muted staccatos. This will ensure maximum movement of the speaker cone.

That's what I did anyway.
    edited January 2015
    Maynehead said:
    The speaker will break in naturally if you rehearse regularly at gig volumes, however if it's for home playing then you can put it face down on the floor, pack it well with a few duvets, turn up the volume and play on the clean channel with the neck pickup for about 30 mins. Play mostly open chords interspersed with some muted staccatos. This will ensure maximum movement of the speaker cone.
    No, it could do the opposite - with the speaker not loaded into a baffle, face down on a flat surface and with the back damped with soft material, you will be reducing the cone movement. Be careful. If you restrict the cone movement too much and the amp power is a significant fraction of the speaker rating (probably anything over half), you could blow it.

• I like the play loud approach, good job my neighbour is deaf as a post!!
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    I'm afraid I was the helpful influence on Simons new amp lol
  • We now have matching amps bahahahahaaaa!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    ICBM said:
    Maynehead said:
    No, it could do the opposite - with the speaker not loaded into a baffle, face down on a flat surface and with the back damped with soft material, you will be reducing the cone movement. Be careful. If you restrict the cone movement too much and the amp power is a significant fraction of the speaker rating (probably anything over half), you could blow it.
    Probably prudent advice. I actually broken mine in at practice and didn't use any duvets. I just faced my 2x12 cab down on the floor but made sure there's breathing space between the cab and the floor.

I just added the duvet off the cuff for home breaking...
  • surely the speaker gets broken in within a couple of gigs or rhearsals, why bother trying to pre empt it.
    surely the speaker gets broken in within a couple of gigs or rhearsals, why bother trying to pre empt it.
    Not really. It takes V30 about 20 hours to get to a nicely bedded in sound in my experience. G12H30's closer to 100! 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5014
    For hi-fi speakers, place them close together with the drivers facing each other. Wire them as normal but out of phase. Play for a few days....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I connect them to the filament wiring on a transformer (6.3v) and give them at least several hours with a few breaks in between to bed them in a bit.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom