Mains Ethernet adapters - £14.99 a pair !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    I've got the Devolo AV 500 ones, they've been rock solid the year or so I've had them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-500-Wireless-Starter/dp/B00A67I5EK/ref=sr_1_1

I needed ones with a socket pass through (so I could plug a 4 way extension strip into them), plus I needed one with more than one ethernet port - saves having another box ie  extra network switch/hub plugged into a single port homeplug.

No problems streaming 1080p from my NAS to my PS3 over them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Emp_Fab said:
    @mart  - "but anyone can connect to the wifi from the extension unit" ???  The 'extension unit' isn't wi-fi - it's a wired ethernet socket.  .....
    Doh! Sorry, I've committed the cardinal sin of commenting without having followed the link to find out exactly which nature of gadget we were talking about. Now that I have done I see that yes, it's a wired extension, not the same gadget as I have.

What I have is a wifi extender via the mains, so one end is plugged to the router and the mains, and the other unit is plugged into the mains and provides a wifi hotspot. Ok, this is a different thing, but do you happen to know how to secure such a thing? :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    mart said:

What I have is a wifi extender via the mains, so one end is plugged to the router and the mains, and the other unit is plugged into the mains and provides a wifi hotspot. Ok, this is a different thing, but do you happen to know how to secure such a thing? :)s
     secure what ?  the homeplug or your wi-fi repeater ?   The repeater will be using the same security as your router 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    mart said:

What I have is a wifi extender via the mains, so one end is plugged to the router and the mains, and the other unit is plugged into the mains and provides a wifi hotspot. Ok, this is a different thing, but do you happen to know how to secure such a thing? :)s
     secure what ?  the homeplug or your wi-fi repeater ?   The repeater will be using the same security as your router 
    That doesn't seem to be the case. For example, when I look at the local wifi options available on my iPad, the router is there with a little padlock symbol, and the repeater is there with none. Maybe I'm missing something, but it certainly seems like there is no password required for the repeater, unlike the router.
    Ok, just checked this. I told the iPad to forget both the router and the repeater. Then when I asked to connect to the router it asked for a password, but when I asked to connect to the repeater it didn't. (And no, that wasn't because I'd already entered a password for the router - I hadn't).
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    surely you connect to the 'network'  not the device ?  So if you connect to the network via the repeater, it allows you to connect without a password  or certificate ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    It sounds to me like you have it setup as two separate WLANs, rather than an additional access point for your existing (i.e. router based) WLAN.  How you would enable security would depend on the actual device.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    edited October 2013
    Hmm, that all makes sense. I think I must have been missing something in the way these things are set up. 

*goes away and re-reads manual*

Doh! I'd read as far as the instruction about "establishing a secure power line network", I'd jumped on to the step about making it secure, which was on the next page. And in so doing, I'd missed the short section about configuring the thing, which included setting a password. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, even if my questions didn't make sense because I didn't understand what was going on! Now, where's that facepalm button so I can facepalm myself? :)