SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Potentially FS: Engl Blackmore signature head

MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
edited January 2015 in Amps £
So... I never thought the day would come when I would actually sell my pride and joy, but it looks like that day may be looming.

I had an interesting night last night. I was casually browsing ebay when I happen to stumble across the amp of my dreams, a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. My hand uncontrollably moved towards the "buy" button and my finger clicked through pure instinct. So, one impulse buy later, I'm left with potentially 2 heads with only room enough for one.

I will be collecting the Mesa this Saturday, and all being well the Engl will be the one going up for sale. However I will obviously need to give both a proper listen and make a decision at that time.

This is just a post to test the waters and see if there is any interest on here.

At work so don't have any pics, but there are plenty of reviews on youtube. Condition wise it's good on the outside but great on the inside. Externally the handle is solid but the chrome ends that attach to the rubber handle has come loose. there is also a little bit of speckled rust on the chrome corners. No dents or rips to the Tolex though.

Internally it's recently had a full revalve. I replaced the existing 4 Engl branded power tubes with a brand new matched set of Engl branded power tubes. The old tubes were actually fine and will come with the sale. I have also upgraded the Engl branded preamp valves with a mix of specially selected high drive strength, cryo, and lower strength valves all purchased from Watford Valves. I actually had 6 preamp valves that I swapped around in the 4 positions until I found the combination that sounded the best. The first position has a lower drive strength valve to smooth out the high end fizz, while positions 2 and 3 has high drive valves to give the gain control it a bit more juice than you'd normally get. Finally a quality HARMA cryo valve is used in the phase inverter. This has improved the sound from the stock valves considerably at the cost of around £150.

The values were put in last year but to be honest I've only turned the amp on a handful of times since they were put in as our band had a break and I use a combo for rehearsals. So basically the valves are brand new.

As for the electronics everything is perfect. All the pots are buttery smooth with no crackles. The amp is really quiet even with the gain turned up. Its never given me any problems in the past, as can be expected with a masterpiece of German engineering.

Sound wise needless to say it will nail the Blackmore classic rock sound but it will also produce wonderful cleans on the clean channel and absolutely gut ripping crunch once the gain is past 2 o'clock on the high gain channel. Oh and even though it can perforate your eardrums if your finger slipped you can also get all the gain you need at bedroom levels thanks to the independent master volume and level controls.

Comes with a Z-4 footswitch.

Again, this is not yet up for sale, but price wise ideally I'm looking for around £700, but this could be negotiable depending on interest.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments