Been down the scrapyard today to get ripped off

What's Hot
I collect scrap aluminium and weigh it in about 4 or 5 times a year, the money goes to covering petrol for our yearly Wales holiday, on average I end up with around £100 which easily covers petrol

Anyhoo, last time I went I took 56 kilos of aluminium and got £18, today I went with 33 kilos and got £15. The guy makes it up as he goes along.

I'm too scared to complain because they are big angry looking fuckers and might throw me in to the crusher.

Bent bastards taking advantage of a good little womble like me.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Is it you who keeps nicking all the road signs? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Anyhoo, last time I went I took 56 kilos of aluminium and got £18, today I went with 33 kilos and got £15. The guy makes it up as he goes along.

Or maybe the retail price for scrap aluminium varies over time.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    copper is where the money is at.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015

copper is where the money is at.
    Dead true.  You can get a great ransom for a high ranking copper.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyhoo, last time I went I took 56 kilos of aluminium and got £18, today I went with 33 kilos and got £15. The guy makes it up as he goes along.
    Hang on...you turned up with about 40% less metal that you had last time, but took home only 17% less money?

How is that being ripped off, exactly? Seems to me that you did quite well out of it.
    <space for hire>
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Still your £15 will buy you more petrol this year than last so it's not all bad news.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Anyhoo, last time I went I took 56 kilos of aluminium and got £18, today I went with 33 kilos and got £15. The guy makes it up as he goes along.
    Hang on...you turned up with about 40% less metal that you had last time, but took home only 17% less money?

How is that being ripped off, exactly? Seems to me that you did quite well out of it.
    well yes thats true but I should have got more for the 56 kilos, i check the values each time and they haven't changed that much, like I say I think he just pays what he fancies paying knowing that I'm not going to load the car back up and piss about going elsewhere, the next nearest one is the other side of manchester
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Manchester?  This chap's in Middleton and puts his prices up online so you should know what you'd get.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    We had a refit of the power supply in a building I worked in years ago. Some contractors turn up and craned in a load of huge copper bus bars, which turned out to be just too short for the job. Another lot turned up later, but the originals sat waiting to be collected.

Scroll on a few years. We'd decided that they're never going to collect them so cut a couple of foot off one of them to pay for our works Xmas do. They actually lasted quite a long time. Would have been worth a fortune nowadays I guess.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Lol womble!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Lead roofing.

That's where the money is!

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited January 2015
    Scrap metal is on its arse again at the moment.

My local scrap car dealer is now only paying £70-80 per tonne its got that bad. Not seen any of the usual Gypsy scrap dealers roaming the streets for months now!

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2015

56 kilos of aluminium lol.  The price of scrap is down, the price of oil is down, the whole world economy is down.

Around 50p a kilo is about right for aluminium.

Pure aluminium shavings were getting almost a quid in October or £1000 a tonne, now they are 50p.  It is just the nature of the market.

Is your other alias Swifty by any chance?  Don't go messing with those HT underground cables in the manholes with concrete blocks on top.

Remember before the banks crashed scrap peaked at around £220 a tonne.  Nothing you could do to nail things down.  Everything just disappeared.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

My local scrap car dealer is now only paying £70-80 per tonne its got that bad. Not seen any of the usual Gypsy scrap dealers roaming the streets in their Transit tippersfor months now!

Fixed that slight mistake for you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    To be fair the price of scrap dropped dramatically last monday. We weigh in fairly regularly and it's well worth keeping an eye on the current prices online, also and forgive me if this sounds dumb but try a few other scrappies; we avoid the one in our local town but drive 10 miles to the next one and it's always without fail a fairer price. I can't see prices going up for a long while now though, the price on lead is currently laughable
  • chillidoggy;484904" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

My local scrap car dealer is now only paying £70-80 per tonne its got that bad. Not seen any of the usual Gypsy scrap dealers roaming the streets in their Transit tippersfor months now!

Fixed that slight mistake for you.

Lol. I miss those thieving shites