john carpenter's the thing ,waaaay scarier than the exorcist.

What's Hot
no offence to the exorcist,but i just do not find it scary tbh.

the thing on the other hand,bloody awesome film,BUT do not need to suspend disbelief either to imagine an alien creature somewhere out in the universe that could be like the creature in the film.

just look at the life on this planet (creatures mimicking other creatures either for defense,or for predation e.t.c.

i mean a 12 year old girl spewing vomit,and speaking in tongues e.t.c (i blame the babycham ;-)

but a shapeshifting/copying 100% alien creature,that is bloody scary my friends ;-)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7906
    The Thing is good, but it's not really a horror, and the special effects don't stand up well against today's horror offerings.   It's a great movie, but I have never found it scary. The recent remake was terrible.

I really enjoyed The Cabin In The Woods.  I thought it was the most original western horror for a while.  Again, it's not scary,but it is a thrill ride, and really quite funny; it beautifully turns an old genre on it's head.  Fab film.

I also rate The Omen (original version), The Babadook, REC, Let The Right One In (original version), Dark Water (Japanese), The Man From Nowhere, Aliens, Dawn Of The Dead (original), Drag Me To Hell, The Skin I Live In, Oldboy (original), Ichi The Killer, Cure (Japanese) and my favorite ....I Saw The Devil.

I firmly believe that the best modern horror movies come out of Asia.  America has lost it's way in horror genre. Regardless, The Exorcist is still 'the daddy' for me.  I'm not religious, but was brought up in a strong Catholic household/tradition. The Exorcistgives me the creeps like no other movie.  

Marlin

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Never seen it. I like sci fi but not horror and it always looked too close to horror.

My 14 year old daughter is dying to see it. She loves horror movies - not that we let her see any, but she see's them at friends houses sometimes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Saw it fairly recently and it hasn't stood the test of time very well, due to the dodgy FX. The story is great though and I thought it was brilliant at the time. Likewise The Exorcist.

TheMarlin is right I think, the best current horror is coming out of Asia. Western stuff is too focused on splatter, gore and jumpy moments. I think the original Ring and Oldboy films are some of the best horror films I've seen, mainly because of the slow build up of tension and their way of causing discomfort.
    I forgot to mention...Tucker and Dale vs Evil.  Hilarious take on teen horror movies. It's really worth watching.

There is a sequel in the works, which i'm chuffed about.

Marlin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited January 2015
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    THAT WAS BRILLIANT!!!
    TheMarlin said:
    THAT WAS BRILLIANT!!!
    I KNOW RIGHT?! :D 
    'Awibble'
  • I don't usually like horror movies, but I love The Thing. Totally ridiculous. Laughed til my head fell off, sprouted legs and ran under a table.

Haven't seen The Exorcist.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

The scariest part of The Exorcist is the "banging" from the loft at the beginning.  Whenever I hear any noise in our house, I always think of that bit.

The Thing is a brilliant film.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16741

The thing is great, and I think people are a bit unfair on the effects.   okay, some of them have not stood the test of time, you can see how its done -   but compare it to the prequel and I find the physical effects in the original much more satisfying, and I find the imagination and creativity that went into those scenes much more impressive than the equivilent done on a computer

Too many horror movies of the last 20 years have relied on dark glimpses of a poorly defined brown CG monster.  It was almost a return to the early days of film where suspense and darkness and dirty colours were used to cover up for very bad effects.  Its getting better now CG is good enough to do properly scary monsters and scenes in full glorius HD colour. 

Its always a balance between detail and suspense - showing the monster too early or too clearly can  ruin the suspense, but some films (like the Thing) need the detailed scenes too

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Hertz32 said:
    Yep.. bloody genius that, thanks for the link  :-bd
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    I have no wish tae see John Carpenters THING thank you
    tae be or not tae be
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    While The Thing is a very good film,for scares The Exorcist walks all over it.By today's standards it's quite subtle so you have to put a bit more effort into it but it's still very good none the less.The head spinning bit is still a bit silly but the spiderwalk down the stairs that was cut from the original movie still gives me chills now.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012

Dodgy FX my arse.

They're still infinitely more impressive than all the lazy, crappy, "if we can animate it, then it must be believable" CGI horseshit we get nowadays.  Practical effects have so much more weight to them.

CGI is most effective when you don't even realise it's there.  When it's over-used (e.g. all recent Peter Jackson films, the Matrix sequels, the last half hour of every superhero movie made in the last 10 years) it's like watching someone else play a video game.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Philly_Q said:

Dodgy FX my arse.

They're still infinitely more impressive than all the lazy, crappy, "if we can animate it, then it must be believable" CGI horseshit we get nowadays.  Practical effects have so much more weight to them.

CGI is most effective when you don't even realise it's there.  When it's over-used (e.g. all recent Peter Jackson films, the Matrix sequels, the last half hour of every superhero movie made in the last 10 years) it's like watching someone else play a video game.

Big fat wisdom for you sir.

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    the thing is one of the all time greats and i think the special effects are still brilliant and never bettered, i also think 'the fog' is very underrated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Anybody ever seen the 1950's The Thing? That's a jolly good romp.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11324
    The thing about The Thing is to judge it by the standards of the time, anything else is pointless. At the time, it was superb (I still think it's brilliant today, but then the criteria I use for judging films has CGI way down the list and entertainment value at the top of it).
    Re older special effects being incredibly valid and fucking awesome - Jurassic Park. 
    That films 20 years old and beats the living shit out of avatar or any other blockbuster out there in my opinion. That was the peak of SFX, when writers knew how to use it properly and make it realistic and believable. 
    It's one of my favourite films, and will remain to be until writers learn how to use SFX to good effect again.  

And yes, I'm pretty certain Jurassic world will be a total steaming pile of horseshit. 
    'Awibble'
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I dug out my Alien quadrology (sic) boxset at the weekend. No CGi in those first two, all in camera effects/models, and flipping brilliant.