Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

40th Bday guitar choices ... Gretsch G5420?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    I expect Bono will be selling his green Gretsch now he can no longer play guitar...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

My little modded Vox DA5 is my midnight noodling amp.  Sounds great, flexible tone, cheap as chips.  I think I picked it up for £40 (lightly used) and shoe horned a Weber 8" speaker into it, no pretty, but sounds great.  Battery/mains powered too!.  

M.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8075
    57Deluxe said:
    I expect Bono will be selling his green Gretsch now he can no longer play guitar...
    There is a red Bono Gretsch now too.  Here it is!  It's another centre block model, so, again, good for anything from Jazz to metal.  I wouldn't buy it personally.....
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    TheMarlin said:
    So, have you decided on which model and colour?  Which 'house friendly amp' are you going to get?

My little modded Vox DA5 is my midnight noodling amp.  Sounds great, flexible tone, cheap as chips.  I think I picked it up for £40 (lightly used) and shoe horned a Weber 8" speaker into it, no pretty, but sounds great.  Battery/mains powered too!.  

M.

I've decided it HAS to a full hollow ie the G5420. I love the Green but I'm not sure if in a couple of years I'd look at and think I should have got the black instead, the green is super cool, but the black is timeless. If you know what I mean? So I'd go black.

Anyhoo I told her I'd decided on the one and could I order it via the forums very own @markGAK and she .... NO. So I can't order it yet, I have to wait till my B'day next month on which she'll give me a voucher to go shopping. WHAT A BITCH!!! I want it NOWWWWWWW!!!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Black.

As you say, it is timeless. Just get a good polish and cloth and give it a tickle once a week.

TheMarlin said:
    57Deluxe said:
    There is a red Bono Gretsch now too.  Here it is!  It's another centre block model, so, again, good for anything from Jazz to metal.  I wouldn't buy it personally.....
    oh a bit insensitive of Gretsch... Red is a bit near the knuckle... and Humerus, Ulna, Radius, Scapula...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30654731
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I have to wait till my B'day next month on which she'll give me a voucher to go shopping. WHAT A BITCH!!! I want it NOWWWWWWW!!!
    Time to change your user name to Verruca_Salt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 394
    Had my 40th 5 years ago, my 40th guitar was a fender usa 2001 designer edition tele in silver sparkle with black headstock, like a dick I sold it a year or so later!
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2015
    Gru said:
    Col_Decker;486846" said:
    I have to wait till my B'day next month on which she'll give me a voucher to go shopping. WHAT A BITCH!!! I want it NOWWWWWWW!!!
    Time to change your user name to Verruca_Salt

Would a smiley have helped you get the attempt at humour? Unless you were joking of course.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I never bought a special guitar for my 20th, 30th 40th 50th. am I allowed to retrospectively claim them now or wait for my 60th and go on a splurge?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    @midlifecrisis. Yes. It is your moral obligation as a gearhead.

Therefore get out and buy yourself a guitar to retrospectively celebrate your 18th, 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th, and have one in advance for your 60th. :)

Actually I like this thread. As I said earlier I am 40 this year too. So is my missus.

She is firmly in the "how many bloody guitars do you need?"camp. But if I slowly work on it and let it be known that I am planning a splurge for her birthday, this will end up as the year of the Les Paul chez Skarloey.

The month driving through Argentina may have to wait though... (car with local plates of course...)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27569
    I never bought a special guitar for my 20th, 30th 40th 50th. am I allowed to retrospectively claim them now or wait for my 60th and go on a splurge?
    Or both? :D

I have an 18th guitar, a 21st guitar and a 30th guitar. 40 feels like a long time to wait now (30+5 months), so I'm waiting for the 5th wedding anniversary, which is wood ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I had a 5x something last one round...! I thoroughly deserved it too!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ab/f5/9e/abf59e73d1e2edbde53ad39006db3718.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The day of reckoning has past and the gas-wowcher has been awarded. Bless her heart she actually came in over target with a ticket for £1800!! I said its too much and I don't need that much, but she won't accept it ... she's saved for it ... for me ... I have to spend it.

(of course this mean in Aug 2016 I'll have to do the same I guess ..  gulp)

This presents me with a wonderful problem. The Gretsch I like costs £620, to get to the next level of Gretschs seems to cost £2.5k so I'm in the middle ground. If only Fender made a small tweed combo in the 15 watt region for about £400. Hang on ..

FML ;)

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Nice! My advice, don't buy new - you'll save a lot of squids. A 6120 would be what, 1400 schnotes or so.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    stickyfiddle;488371" said:
    midlifecrisis said:

I never bought a special guitar for my 20th, 30th 40th 50th. am I allowed to retrospectively claim them now or wait for my 60th and go on a splurge?

Or both? :D

I have an 18th guitar, a 21st guitar and a 30th guitar. 40 feels like a long time to wait now (30+5 months), so I'm waiting for the 5th wedding anniversary, which is wood ;)
    It's our 5th wedding anniversary this year I'm gonna give the wife my wood...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Buy a used one and you're into Country Club territory. Lovely green beasties :)

I remember when Peter Cook's had them for 1600 new!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    <SNIP - and I hope you have!>

This presents me with a wonderful problem. The Gretsch I like costs £620, to get to the next level of Gretschs seems to cost £2.5k so I'm in the middle ground. If only Fender made a small tweed combo in the 15 watt region for about £400. Hang on ..

Don't do the right thing - do the Rockabilly thing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-59-Bassman-Amp-/221696838165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e294a15
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    My god - that's one hell of a copywriter they're using..

The first thing you'll notice about the G5623 Electromatic (RED) Bono Signature Model Gretsch is its distinctive finish. Staying bang on theme, there's only one colour that would be worthy of promoting the (RED) brand, and you've guessed it.. it's bright red!